118cc lifan build

I will look into it, if you have a specific manufacturer you are thinking of please post, Thank you Curtis!

I will look into it, if you have a specific manufacturer you are thinking of please post, Thank you Curtis!
One like you showed, only for trike without coaster brake. They have 2 sprockets on them, otherwise if you can fit a second on one like you showed...........Curt

Last edited:
for the brakes, I wouldn't've chose 203mm on the rear, Ghetto hub just has. but I do want a big disc up front. or 2! haha. maybe I can swap the rear disc for a 180 with tinkering. I haven't gotten around to brakes yet. might do hydraulic.
getting ready to mask n paint the Marz forks, all sanded up but it's so dang cold! gotta be at least 45 out to paint even if I bring em inside to dry

Hi Jerboa,

What do you plan to do for your gearing? I am torn between a cassette and a hub, just unsure of which will be more reliable, dont really want to have something that will require constant upkeep. Cant wait to see your build progress, your bike looks awesome!

Cheers!

I wouldn't put too much torque to the internally geared hubs. Think I'm at right around 45 lb ft of torque to the rear wheel in 1st gear with my gear reductions after chain losses. If you use one of them internally geared hubs as a jackshaft, they would have much less torque running through them, but will rotate at much higher rpms. Might need a higher temp oil put in it so it doesn't cook out.

So would you use a cassette and derailer or go with the hub? Here is a picture of the trike I plan to use. This will be my first build so any input is much appreciated, trying to save heartbreak and as many mistakes as possible by listening and learning from others. It's an old Mohawk industrial, was used in a parts warehouse, old school steely :)

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20190219_222041.jpg
    20190219_222041.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 173
  • 20190219_222028.jpg
    20190219_222028.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 159
Not to discourage you, but I recently reburbished an old Worksman pedal trike and spent some time riding it around in a hilly area.

Reminded me of 3 things I had almost forgotten from my time as a traditional-style trike owner:

They aren't really the most stable of things over 10MPH. They tend to be quite unstable over 20MPH. They are terrifying over 30.

Lol.....sounds great :ROFLMAO:.

All joking set aside I hear ya, I know trikes are not the most stable cornering things, i just want to have the option of speeding up on flats if it feels comfortable, I'm worried that i will build this thing and be unhappy with the way its geared so i figured some sort of transmission would open up some options. I may build it and later want to go after something with 2 wheels but if that's the case I'll sell and start over. I have some cool attachment plans in mind for this build. Still trying to figure out this gearing issue and the best way to go about it.

Cheers!

@ Master of none, what size engine are you thinking about?
if you know wheel size and the output gear, you can use the gear ratio calc to explore gearing to put your fav cruising speed close to the torque peak (unmodified 4 strokes usually get torque peak around 2500). the speed you'll spend most of your time riding at is the important rpm.
8.67:1 at 2500rpm =~ 24mph for my bike and top out at 40+ if I open it up. plenty fast enough for me and a comfortable cruise speed. I'm using a manual clutch to a simple jackshaft then to the hub. JS gears are cheap so I have a couple different ones I can swap in bcs I know gearing on paper isn't quite the same thing as feeling it on the bike

@ Master of none, what size engine are you thinking about?
if you know wheel size and the output gear, you can use the gear ratio calc to explore gearing to put your fav cruising speed close to the torque peak (unmodified 4 strokes usually get torque peak around 2500). the speed you'll spend most of your time riding at is the important rpm.
8.67:1 at 2500rpm =~ 24mph for my bike and top out at 40+ if I open it up. plenty fast enough for me and a comfortable cruise speed. I'm using a manual clutch to a simple jackshaft then to the hub. JS gears are cheap so I have a couple different ones I can swap in bcs I know gearing on paper isn't quite the same thing as feeling it on the bike
I think he’s using the same as you that’s why he started commenting here but I think he said he wants to build a trike.

Back