12V 18-25W headlight wanted

hi steve just took it apart it has a single connection on the bottom of the bulb,

comes supplied with a 10 watt bulb.

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

steve, i believe that's a basic 15mm bayonet, and there should be some good choices in filament or LED.

well i went to the autostore and picked up a 25 watt bulb and put it to the test, went and made the kids dinner 1/2 hour went back and the front plastic lens had melted onto the bulb...... the bulb was larger than the 10 watt probably a little too close to the lens. So you would really need a mushroom blub like the one supplied

nothing like experiments to learn a lesson...... !!!!!!!!!!

try some LEDS next, but will have to stock up on some more headlights first.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys, for all of the input.

augidog, I was pleased when I saw it was a 15mm bayonet - that's about the best socket for a good range of bulbs. (Been watching the trailer thread too, I've just had nothing to contribute.)
Paddy, I thought about asking if the lens was plastic, but I guess I have the answer to that one. (I'll take it off my 'watch' list.)
I want to avoid plastic sockets, too. Been there, done that, like augidog.
I'm in no real rush and just keeping my eyes open as I work on the charging system.
Everything that looks good goes on the list.

I've already exceeded the budget for this week. $60 for the motor/generator, $70 for a miniature 25mm gear puller, $30 for mini allen keys, $20 for motor coupling. (And I've hardly started, still have timing belt & pulley, permanent mounting, then the regulator to sort out.)

OT for a moment, I tried to reply a few hours ago, but this old computer crashed, (reset with no warning), midstream.
Been doing it for a few days, and giving me warnings that the 5V rail was at 4.3V.
(PSU tests at 4.98V with my DMM)
I just stripped it and hit it with the vacuum cleaner. Monitoring hardware/software tells me the voltage is 4.65V again and all's well. (It's always indicated about 0.3V below the real voltage.)
Got me stuffed - I was all set to order a new PSU. I wouldn't have thought a little dust would make so much difference.

Bought a cheapie off eBay today. I enquired, but the seller wasn't sure of the bulb type, so I took a chance and bought it anyway.
I think it has 2 x 10W bulbs, by the look of it. (Hopefully they're a 15mm bayonet.)
It looks to be all plastic, though, so I'll see how it goes with the heat.
If it wraps around the headstem the way I picture it.....

attachment.php

Attachments

• Headlight.jpg
    Headlight.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Pics of mounted headlight

It turned out to have 2 x 12V 18W/18W bulbs.
I've set it up to use 18W for low beam and 36W for high beam.
Just finished setting up the switch and testing it.
It works even better than expected and throws plenty of light to the sides for visibility.
Looks a bit ugly on the bike, but it works beautifully.
The black box under the fuel tank holds the battery and fuse. (12V 5Ah SLA)
Next up is a good, loud horn, then I'll get stuck back into the generator/regulator.
Some pics:-

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 314
  • RHS.jpg
    RHS.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 302
  • Switch.jpg
    Switch.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 308
  • Battery Box.jpg