1st time w/reed valve kit

I hope the OP didn’t give up, a lot of times trying to upgrade beyond what you’ve learned can be frustrating. A reed kit requires a lot of knowledge and shouldn’t be a person’s first upgrade.

I hope the OP didn’t give up, a lot of times trying to upgrade beyond what you’ve learned can be frustrating. A reed kit requires a lot of knowledge and shouldn’t be a person’s first upgrade.
from the looks of it, he gave up 2nd grade English as well.

that just shows I'm still a newbie huh but I guess that's just part of it all right if you don't ask questions you can't learn nothing so what would you suggest for a little stronger spark in the stock CDI thank you very much for your time

that just shows I'm still a newbie huh but I guess that's just part of it all right if you don't ask questions you can't learn nothing so what would you suggest for a little stronger spark in the stock CDI thank you very much for your time
Sounds like you might have weak spark, change the plug to a new one and see if that fixes it.

Now, did you buy a reed kit similer to this by any-chance? (The one where the plate is part of the block. It's complety squared on the intake side, pictured below
)

And when you add starting fuild, does it fire?
If so its not receiving enough fuel. It could mean that there is a air leak. Check for that FIRST, (around the intake fittings are the most common, next is the cylinder head, could be the spark plug as well) Then if theres no air leak. Change the main jet to a larger one (richer, more higher numbered one)

Hope this helps, and dont take my previous comment too personally ;)

Last edited:
********** clothes for not my first upgrade still pretty green and it interesting
Sounds like you might have weak spark, change the plug to a new one and see if that fixes it.

Now, did you buy a reed kit similer to this by any-chance? (The one where the plate is part of the block. It's complety squared on the intake side, pictured belowView attachment 91229)

And when you add starting fuild, does it fire?
If so its not receiving enough fuel. It could mean that there is a air leak. Check for that FIRST, (around the intake fittings are the most common, next is the cylinder head, could be the spark plug as well) Then if theres no air leak. Change the main jet to a larger one (richer, more higher numbered one)

Hope this helps, and dont take my previous comment too personally ;)
Thanx, you have a great weekend

Hey just one more question?
Would a motor still fire, using a windowed piston without a reed valve
The reason i ask is because, i ordered a piston, and i ordered wrong piston, i know rookie mistake, but i guess thats how we learn, and grow.....
So im bacically stranded all weekend no transportation, and pretty much S.O.L.
Untill tuesday, and the only accessable options i have, that i know of, is windowed piston , or to use an old piston, thats in ok shape, because i dont think there are any overnight shipping option availabe??? Anyway a appriciate any and all the help you could give this straded newbie... Thanx....

The intake port timing will be way off, I don't know if it would even run, I've never tried that. If you need to ride it use known good parts till the new parts come in. Even if it's 5 mph slower at least you'll be riding.

Hey just one more question?
Would a motor still fire, using a windowed piston without a reed valve
The reason i ask is because, i ordered a piston, and i ordered wrong piston, i know rookie mistake, but i guess thats how we learn, and grow.....
So im bacically stranded all weekend no transportation, and pretty much S.O.L.
Untill tuesday, and the only accessable options i have, that i know of, is windowed piston , or to use an old piston, thats in ok shape, because i dont think there are any overnight shipping option availabe??? Anyway a appriciate any and all the help you could give this straded newbie... Thanx....
It wouldn't work, the pistion without the reed controls all intake timing, with a hole in it (windowed) you would have no intake timing. (Makeing it not run)
I would used the old piston as suggested above.

Also Try flipping the reed around (you could of installed it upside down as well, common mistake)

Last edited:
Back