2 stroke with no oil

Doug, calm down.No one is making fun of you.The internet is a weird thing, and there's no way to tell inflection/tonality in this wacky net, so things oft get misinterpreted as snide/sarcastic.But it's how you take it, so something inside you made you feel that way.I apologize for going off topic, I can't get off tangents, one thing reminds me of something else, someone says something cool, and I forgot the OP's question/point.
To your point, I think the guy is hosing you.Those CG's aren't known for being forgiving of no oil, it wouldn't even start without proper mix.

Opti-2 Available at ACE Harware.

I know most people will be hesitant to try it - I was myself, but I run it in all my 2 strokes, including HT engines.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

is that that stuff that claims to be one ratio for all different ratio engines? I do not trust that stuff.

I was making fun of the op's question. But I did point out that this question had not been posted twice by the same person. At first I thought it was, but then I found out it wasn't. But yes, I was making fun of you because your question was stupid. I do think it's weird though that someone else posted this same question before, worded exactly the same. The other poster said his buddy told him he had been running without oil for over a month. Anyone dumb enough to believe that deserves to be made fun of. Sorry. If you wanna tell me to **** off, fine, but it doesn't make your question any less stupid, nor you any less lazy for not using Google to look it up

Opti/Amsoil too 'spensive for me.Does the Opti do the 100:1 thingo?I know Amsoil says "it's the amount of the additive, not the ratio" but I still don't see any cost benefit.I did a bunch of research and settled on Blue Marble, reasonable cost, no/low smoke ( I run 50:1), doesn't smell horrible, mineral oil based (biodegradable, doesn't create everlasting slick on water), and a slight power increase.4 gallons should last me a while.

My original post was more of a comment than a question....in the future I will be more careful of my phrasing so Mr. butterbean will be more pleased ...END OF MATTER.

To your point, I think the guy is hosing you.Those CG's aren't known for being forgiving of no oil, it wouldn't even start without proper mix.

They will start and run on 100% gas but will not run for long. Now they will not start on 100% oil as there is not enough octane to lower the flashpoint at the compression these run at.

A person I know told me he had been running his HT 2 stroke engine with no Oil for over a month.....and hadn't had any problems...I cautioned him against this and am surprised it hasn't seized already.....How can this be???
image.jpg

Seriously tho, I don't know why everyone reacted so strongly, and I knew it was more of a rhetorical question anyways.

But I do think it's possible, if he didn't use it many times and was just idling around/barely any throttle. I know that I built an experimental 2 stroke from a weed eater, which included an oil sump but since I couldn't easily get an oil control ring for it (and piston pin was in the way) I just ran it dry without premix or oil in the sump for the time I was getting it emissions tested. Probly had 40 mins of total run time without oil, althought some of the time when I was just trying to get it running right I did put a quick spray of fogging oil in the tank (love that stuff... Smells awesome and I use it for everything lol) That engine was just idling tho. But still, not a single scuff or anything on the piston after.

But styll, with low heat/friction I think you might be able to get by without aluminum rubbing off onto the cyl. And if the bore is chromed or cast iron (are all HT's, or are some plain alum?) then your rings shouldn't cause an immediate problem; just lots of wear and chatter (or piston engine equivalent, Im just thinking of rotary engines' apex seals which chatter with not enuff lube). And unless you have a bronze bushed con rod then that's basically it for immediate problems.

Back