6.5HP Bicycle Pusher Trailer

Thanks for the reply on my questions. Although heavier, I think the $130 6.5Hp from Harbor freight might be a pretty good setup for my commuter. I would really love to get a GX50 Honda for a rack mounted friction drive but Im looking at about $400 for engine and materials alone. Plus i think the 6.5 will give me more of the power im looking for on the uphill stuff. I'll have to weigh the pros and cons.

Thanks!

Hey Znsane, on the 6.5 how much to you have to peddle on take offs before it catches torque? Can you take off from a dead stop without peddling?

You can take off from a dead stop, and it takes off smoother after the clutch is slightly lubed with WD-40.

However, it's best to pedal 8-12mph before throttling, and the takeoff and clutch lockup is way better. With my gearing and clutch RPM, max torque catches about 20-23mph. If you take off from a dead stop, it does fine, but takes longer to accelerate. Once fully locked and moving, peak torque curve happens around 30-35mph, when it accelerates the quickest.

*Also, when I run over those patches of sand or gravel on the asphault, I can punch the throttle while going, and spin the tires really good, hehehe. It spins the tires better while moving than from a dead stop.

Last edited:
I was hoping the 6.5 would have a bit more punch on the take off. Where i live and the street i commute on is pretty heavy with traffic and it would be nice to at least keep up on the takeoff. For me to peddle up to 8-12 i would almost be to the other side of the street with some idiot honking their horn right on my butt. People here missed the part in the DMV test that bicycles have to ride on the street.

Maybe if the gearing was set lower then yours, i would be okay. I'd like to have a max speed of 40mph just to make sure im not over revving at a cruising speed of 30-35mph. I figure if i can cruise at 30mph i won't be putting to much stress on the engine. Plus i would like to keep a good uphill speed at maybe 20mph. I'll have to ask some questions on gear ratios plus using a jack shaft to get these speeds when im ready for the build.

I'd like to stick with the 6.5 becuase of its price and warranty from Harbor Freight. Im not sure if they sell anything in between the 2.5 and 6.5. For the price of the 2.5 I think i would rather just go with the 6.5 for Only $30 more.

I've also been researching this thread and link, http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=4809 http://dragnfly.org/ , on getting it registered here in CA. MotorbikeMIke seems to have the whole registration thing down here in Cali. You might want to look into it for your a state. Im sure the sense of security would be well worth it and who knows, you might even shed some light on WavyGravy that these Can be legal also.

Last edited:
i give up!

i give up on trying to help establish what a motoredbike is & hand that job over to those who may be concerned enough in the future to those who may want to advance the [movement] lol! at one time i was concerned for all my other motoredbikers & the future of there ability to keep rideing & public perception, the focus of the movement is gone & its now every man for himself ,so let it fly & land where it will! from this point on i obstain from from all politics & will continue to be the positive miniority in my town with focus on future riders besides myself!! some where down the line the standard & laws will be set as to what we all build to with no gray areas, ill be patiently awaiting that day! untill then go as fast as you can & build as big as you can to help bring the subject to a head in a more timely manner! oops your furthureing the movement & didnt even know it!! cool is one thing ,the future of motoredbikeing is another! does anybody really care?

I was hoping the 6.5 would have a bit more punch on the take off. Where i live and the street i commute on is pretty heavy with traffic and it would be nice to at least keep up on the takeoff. For me to peddle up to 8-12 i would almost be to the other side of the street with some idiot honking their horn right on my butt. People here missed the part in the DMV test that bicycles have to ride on the street.

Maybe if the gearing was set lower then yours, i would be okay. I'd like to have a max speed of 40mph just to make sure im not over revving at a cruising speed of 30-35mph. I figure if i can cruise at 30mph i won't be putting to much stress on the engine. Plus i would like to keep a good uphill speed at maybe 20mph. I'll have to ask some questions on gear ratios plus using a jack shaft to get these speeds when im ready for the build.

I'd like to stick with the 6.5 becuase of its price and warranty from Harbor Freight. Im not sure if they sell anything in between the 2.5 and 6.5. For the price of the 2.5 I think i would rather just go with the 6.5 for Only $30 more.

I've also been researching this thread and link, http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=4809 http://dragnfly.org/ , on getting it registered here in CA. MotorbikeMIke seems to have the whole registration thing down here in Cali. You might want to look into it for your a state. Im sure the sense of security would be well worth it and who knows, you might even shed some light on WavyGravy that these Can be legal also.
of course they can be legal , all i ever wanted was other 2 wheeled conveyences not be grouped with what the fed describes as a motor assisted bicycle, under 50cc single speed under 30 mph. with pedals! all others should fall into another catagory call them what you will & be licenced as such. my fear is my motorassisted bike will be grouped & classified as a moped or some such nonsence! even though it is under 50cc single speed, under 30 mph. with pedals! is this to much to ask for?

It is a mixed bag! I ride 50cc 2 and 4 stroke and would rather have the 70cc 2stroke but not for speed, for torque. I don't really feel comfortable at speeds greater than 30 mph (and thats illegal).

I love to see people push the limits of their machines. But there are not really many venues for them like there are for cars and motorcycles.

Which brings up an idea!?:unsure:

ZNsane we need someone to represent us @ Bonneville! Hows about we build a pusher for the salt flats!

We have a velodrome locally that could possibly be used for "board track" style racing.

****, even the race track might allow us to do some exibition 1 lap races. How about a moped class? If you have enough people it'll get done!

The venues will not just "appear" we need to seek them out. If we want them. There are legal ways to push the limits though.

Back