6.5HP Bicycle Pusher Trailer

Awe Man! I can't wait to see what you come up with 5-7heaven. Hopefully you'll be able to post some pics by the time your done with your project. That gonna be a good motor to work with. It most be great cruising the streets in Hawaii not matter what setup you have.

My only concern now is the size of the 6.5 because of the cops here in Los Angeles. I think i would have hard time registering the 6.5. Im waiting to see how Znsanes outcome is with the 2.5 engine. If it puts out a good amount of power i might just go with that one.

Check out Craigs build with a big motor. The video shows it doing a fly by. He did a good job.

http://www.craigisfishing.com/

Last edited:
Hey Wavy, Don't even worry about it bro. I understand where your coming from and your interests in motor bicycling. I myself would rather learn from someone elses mistakes rather then my own. If someone wants to take a risk, then go right ahead. Either we progress from the outcome or become disinterested and pass it by.

Im hooked on learning about motor bicycling and using what i have learned in my projects. I love when people take risks or collaborate with others ideas to progress their projects. I also like to play it safe and go with the flow. I guess I'll have to build 2 bikes, one Ripper and one kick back cruiser.

Cheers Wavy. :D

Last edited:
Awe Man! I can't wait to see what you come up with 5-7heaven. Hopefully you'll be able to post some pics by the time your done with your project. That gonna be a good motor to work with. It most be great cruising the streets in Hawaii not matter what setup you have.

My only concern now is the size of the 6.5 because of the cops here in Los Angeles. I think i would have hard time registering the 6.5. Im waiting to see how Znsanes outcome is with the 2.5 engine. If it puts out a good amount of power i might just go with that one.

Check out Craigs build with a big motor. The video shows it doing a fly by. He did a good job.

http://www.craigisfishing.com/

Kid, how far are you on your push trailer?

ZnsaneRyder, what diameter are your no-flat tires?

I was checking out Motormaker's setup, which I like and will copy. However, I'm not keen on his low-speed tires and 20-something mph.

Looking for a hard-charging 40 mph and high-speed no-flat tires.:geek:

Me too on the speed Heaven. I did a speed calculator with a 3600rpm, 12in. tire, 10T clutch sproket and 60T axle sproket and it came out to like 18mph, then with the 72Taxle sproket it was like 20mph. Im going to have to reseach on ratios and most likely a jack shaft. To be honest with you, im actually just learning about the whole gearing thing and ratios. Its a new language to me.

I won't be starting my project until i get the motor which will be after New Years. I have to get paid for my current project im working on now which won't be installed till after new years. So im just taking the time now to do all my research. Im also waiting to see how Znsanes outcome is with the 2.5HP he's working on.

I too am looking for a hard charging 40mph. We'll see if it can keep up with your Dual Dueler.

5-7 Heaven, GREAT deal on the engine! I've been REALLY wanting to know how well those OHC engines compare to the OHV and if they can rev higher. SWEET!

And Rgvkid, the 2.5HP trailer is still in the works. I'll keep all of you posted on it. To help your gear ratio questions, this trailer uses a 10T clutch (#40 chain) and a 48T sprocket for 4.8:1 ratio with a 15 inch diameter tire. If you want to use 10 inch tires like me but want a chain, then go 30 or 32T. Don't go with #35 chain, it sucks, and is noisy and is hard to get a fast gear ratio as you see.

Quoted by FireBellyCycles

Which brings up an idea!?

ZNsane we need someone to represent us @ Bonneville! Hows about we build a pusher for the salt flats!

Speaking of the Salt Flats..............funny you mention.......:devilish:
I've been wanting to build a FAST speed trailer just for fun, not one you drive down the street with. I've learned so much from building, and modding this trailer, that I know what it takes to keep one stable at speed. How about 13HP Honda-Clone with two small car tires and a GOOD bike? :devilish: Gotta have pedals!
I'd be glad to represent given an opportunity to do something like that.

Last edited:
Znsane, are you running an alternator off your engine to power your system?

Car horn and 55-watt lights. That's what I've been considering.

Also considering tires like yours. Would you recommend wheels larger than 10"? A few builders here use low-speed tires, but I need something to run 40 mph safely.

Znsane, are you running an alternator off your engine to power your system?

Car horn and 55-watt lights. That's what I've been considering.

Also considering tires like yours. Would you recommend wheels larger than 10"? A few builders here use low-speed tires, but I need something to run 40 mph safely.

I wish I had an alternator or stator. I've been planning on trying to add one of some sort, but I'm not sure yet as to how, so I just charge the battery at home every night with a slow charging 12V, 300mA adaptor to avoid overcharging until I come up with a better charger. The battery is a homemade high-current Ni-Cd 12V 3.9Ah (3900mAh) battery made from all the cells (30) from two cheap 18V 1300mAh drill packs, rearranged into 3 paralleled 12V 1300mAh batteries to get 3900mAh. It's a good battery, and very lightweight, but I need longer lasting power, or for the engine to keep it charged. I use LED mainly to get the most life from the battery, and use the 55W only when needed.

The car horn is GREAT!! OMG! I can give friendly short honks in risky areas, and the cars notice me, and wait for me to ride by. Also good to have a loud blast for the occasional non-driver! Highly recommended for your safety!

The tires I have are good with slight modification (gorilla-glue them to the rims) but I highly recommend larger tires because of bumps. If you are on a tight budget, then get the 10" tires. The rims aren't the strongest in these Marathon tires, so watch the big bumps, but the tires work very well on the road at speed. Harbor Freight also has a 10" Amerityre version that is better, but more expensive. I can do 40 safely for extended periods of time. For low speed tires, the flat free 10" are the best, but a larger tire would ride much better I'm sure. They also make 15" flat-free tires too. You could always just get a set of large thick-skinned air tires, and they will probably be just fine.

Here's a place that has go-kart wheels, and other parts, and they have great bearings, check it out: http://www.mfgsupply.com/GoMini.html/mv_session_id=EeumXFKt

Last edited:
Me too on the speed Heaven. I did a speed calculator with a 3600rpm, 12in. tire, 10T clutch sproket and 60T axle sproket and it came out to like 18mph, then with the 72Taxle sproket it was like 20mph. Im going to have to reseach on ratios and most likely a jack shaft. To be honest with you, im actually just learning about the whole gearing thing and ratios. Its a new language to me.

I won't be starting my project until i get the motor which will be after New Years. I have to get paid for my current project im working on now which won't be installed till after new years. So im just taking the time now to do all my research. Im also waiting to see how Znsanes outcome is with the 2.5HP he's working on.

I too am looking for a hard charging 40mph. We'll see if it can keep up with your Dual Dueler.

Good news, Charles. You won't need a jackshaft. In fact, you and I will need gear ratios much less than 6:1. I may be wrong, but my calculations show that we'll be needing 3:1 to 3.6:1 gears to reach 40 mph. It might seem inadequate, but these engines have FIVE times the power of a weedwhacker. We won't be lacking in low-end torque or hp, especially since the range is short, between 1400 rpm and 4000 rpm.

So a 12tooth/36tooth sprocket match might be good enough.

More calculations to follow.:geek:

Thanks for the info. My shop is right down the street from Azusa Engineering which makes Kart parts and their distributor is close by also. The gut said to come in with details and he'll point me to the right ratios and material. I most likely won't be getting a motor until after my current project New Years. I'll post a pic of my current project preassembled.

I got a rain check on the HF 2.5HP engine which i will try out first, if its inadequate, then i'll just return it with some excuse and upgrade to the 6.5hp and pay the difference. I can't wait to hear some of the outcomes on these.

Thanks for the info 5-7 and Znsane.

Attachments

• Nora and Jorge1.jpg
    Nora and Jorge1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Back