6v lights fed from white line? Headlamps, Turn-signals, brakelights?

you can pull about 3 WATTS from the white wire. any more than that & your bike won't run. The voltage is more than 6 volts, though. Voltage doubling does NOT increase the total amount of power available, because as the voltage doubles, the current is cut in half. But, since no transformer is perfect, the total power is actually reduced a bit, due to losses.

Power (in watts) = Current (in amps) times Voltage (in volts)​

or

P = IE​

Last edited:
rebelspirit,Your attitude will take you to places you don't want to go! louis

Ratroder, My attitude has taken me many places no man would go but definitely should.

But this is not a thread on my bad attitude so everyone let's stay focused on the specific thread at hand and stop harassing the "noob" ok.

Found this-3-5VDC in 100VAC 2000Hz out inverter for
EL lighting.

http://www.techknowman.com/Electronics/Kits/Kits.htm

Anyone try this yet?

you can pull about 3 WATTS from the white wire. any more than that & your bike won't run. The voltage is more than 6 volts, though. Voltage doubling does NOT increase the total amount of power available, because as the voltage doubles, the current is cut in half. But, since no transformer is perfect, the total power is actually reduced a bit, due to losses.

Power (in watts) = Current (in amps) times Voltage (in volts)​

or

P = IE​

Thanks loquin!

I at least understood part of it. Voltage multipliers do not increase your power-check.

Correct. Your inverter is the same - it will output a little less power than it takes in, although at a higher voltage.

BTW. fetor's first post, above, has a link to the "noobie's" page, which is, IMO, mislabelled. That page has some tips, which if you're an experienced forumer, you could skip. However, it also has a lot of links to commonly asked questions. If you take to the time to scroll down it, there's at least a half dozen links to lighting questions, including white-wire lighting questions.

Solutions

Great! Knowing what doesn't work is very important,

Now- Anyone know what does work?

Are there any prefab lights that are adequate for high speeds at night designed to attach directly to the white wire? please post brand names and weblinks in any response.

After all my research I am now leaning towards the rechargeable systems-The gopeds use one, the pedicabs use one- anyone know of something that is a a ready to buy prefab all in one (head, brake signal light) rechargeable kit? Do the motorscooter companies sell thier electrical system as a seperate unit? it's the same people making our motors.....

I will post answers when I get any myself....

I worked for years in fabrication as a project manager, so expect some unique solutions to come out of this thread. I will solve this problem!!! We will have light! And it will be awesome! ...and easy for anyone.

Also, just want to re-iterate in list form for simplicity my conclusions so far:

1) You cannot increase the power coming from the white wire.
2)you cannot replace the magneto coil (with, say, an 12v alternator), as it is also the ignition timer.

Options:

Seperate generator? Type? source of energy?

Battery? Goped type w/ acutraiments? Rechargeable W/ white line?

Run an alternator from the wheel rotation?

Onward through the fog!!!

A plea for help....Approx 1900 members and 820 active members. Some one out there has to be an electrician or an electrical engineer. Or someone has to have a family member that can help design a simple system to trickle charge a small battery. It also needs to be able to plug it in at home, without frying the magneto. We need someone to step up with experience. (I know your out there)

I spent 3 hrs doing an extensive search on this topic. There were over 100 references to this topic and its still a dead issue. This seems to be the only topic this group has'nt solved. This post didnt start off to well, but after searching over 100 areas relating to this topic I think we should make this the last post about it. Put out the word for HELP! Thanks everyone.

I have many electrical engineers at my work. I posed the problem to them and here is their solution. Let me preface this first. There is not enough power out of the magneto to run more than a small light, 6v-3watt. However, there is enough power to charge a battery. The attached circuit shows how to build a charger using the white wire as input and will charge a 12v battery at between .25 to .5 amps. Using a 12v 3.5 Ahr battery, and having it continually charged will give you about an hour worth of lights depending on the bulbs you use. I also attached data sheets for the 2 major components. I haven't done this yet but my next build is going to be a chopper and I intend on full lighting so I will do this.

Attachments

• Schematic.jpg
    Schematic.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 660
  • DE-SWADJ.pdf
    151.7 KB · Views: 441
  • 6278.pdf
    266.8 KB · Views: 608
I have solved the problem of generating power for lights from the engine, and will present the solution with pics, after I patent the solution. Will provide a kit to
supply all the 12 volt power needed to be street legal. It was difficult, but I am an inventor and stayed with the problem. Mike S

Ghost- Definitely moving in the right direction. the loss of light after an hour is a minus though....

Hub generators create drag and don't produce a signifigant amount of power...Too bad, as I think what is needed to begin with is a method for creating more power on the bike.

We definitely need a system that works as good as any motorcycle system. enough power to light a powerful headlight, breaklight and four turn signals, be fully self contained and not require constant battery replacement or outside charging. Nor reduce the performance of our rides.

I am going to do some research now on small motorcycle systems and see if that takes me anywhere...

Conclusions:

1) Some type of battery is needed in the system in order to produce a consistent and constant light source
2) enough power must be generated to properly and fully charge the battery during ride times

Back