9.2 mile commute now

I rode my MB to work one more time this year, in early October. My shift starts at 0530 and I like to be there with plenty of time to spare. I leave home at 0345 or so and arrive at work 41 miles later, at 0500. A lot depends on the wind - last time wind was out of the southeast at 10-15 mph, so the ride home was blustery. On long upgrades my speed dropped to 25mph, and I had to hunch over the handlebars to do that. But I made it home only about 20 minutes later than if I'd taken the car or my Vespa.

I plan on commuting a lot more starting May of next year.

41 miles! I guess I'll quit complaining about my 2.5 mile commute. Depending on traffic sometimes it can take a half an hour or more. Oh well....that's life in the big city. I haven't started riding my MB yet but I plan to.

41 miles! I guess I'll quit complaining about my 2.5 mile commute. Depending on traffic sometimes it can take a half an hour or more. Oh well....that's life in the big city. I haven't started riding my MB yet but I plan to.
Are you driving? For a 2.5 mile trip on a regular basis I'd walk first, and I'm a gimpy cripple. I could still do that 2.5 miles in less than 45 minutes. Normal walking pace for most folks is about 4 mph.

Seriously, unless you have tools that you must transport with you, it would make a lot more sense to walk, ride a bike, ride an MB - heck, roller skate!

I try to be as courteous and considerate to cars as possible. I think it is just right to try to be nice to others, and, in addition, I do not want cars be angry at me in particular or bicyclists in general.

Riding to the far right is an invitation to pass. That is what I do whenever there is enough room. When there is not enough room for safe passing, then I ride to block the lane. Then as soon as there is room, I move to the right and wave the cars to pass.

Doing this I have never once had a car honk at me or pass dangerously close.

evidently you dont live in missouri they will just flat plow you down and they keep count its like in the war fighter planes would mark theyre planes with kill markings they do that in mo also

evidently you dont live in missouri they will just flat plow you down and they keep count its like in the war fighter planes would mark theyre planes with kill markings they do that in mo also

That's kind of sad. Sorry to hear it. I guess it's very different where you live.

Back