A call for help to Louisiana MB riders.

The way I read the Louisiana law, is that if the Motor is greater than 1.5 horsepower, or over 50cc displacement, then the vehicle has to be registered and titled as a motorcycle. Anything under that is exempt from all that, making the vehicle just a bicycle...

The way I read the Louisiana law, is that if the Motor is greater than 1.5 horsepower, or over 50cc displacement, then the vehicle has to be registered and titled as a motorcycle. Anything under that is exempt from all that, making the vehicle just a bicycle...
Would you care to provide citations of the statutes that support your interpretation?

Frankly, having researched the law here in Louisiana as regards motorizing a bicycle, I think you are very seriously in error.

Take it up with these people:

http://www.dmv.org/la-louisiana/other-types.php

The greatest thing in a rider's favor is that many officers are not up or clear on the laws that they are suppose to enforce.

Officer are often excused from ignorance of the law. We, however, are not.

The last line of the statute puts enough ambiguity in the law for me to interpret as I have: "NOTE: MOTORIZED BICYCLES SUCH AS POCKET BIKES AND SCOOTERS THAT DO NOT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POLICY SHALL NOT BE REGISTERED."

My bicycle was not manufactured as a Motorcycle. My bicycle does not have/was not made with a VIN recognizable by the State of Louisiana. This fact causes my Bicycle to not meet the requirements of the statute, and therefore excludes me titling, registering, insuring and having a motorcycle endorsement. Even if I wanted to register, title and insure my Bicycle with an Assist Motor, I would not be able to. I have been unable to even get a quote to insure my bicycle for other than property theft under a "Renters" policy. The people who I have spoke with at the DMV have no clue how to do anything with my Bicycle with an Assist Motor.

Also, my Bicycle with an Assist Motor has a 3 speed Manual shift for the "transmission", which also excludes IT from the statute. The site you linked to Dat Bike Guy is an "unofficial" DMV information site. I am sure the day will come when I will be ticketed, which is an opportunity to challenge the law as written.

dinoseer...

Last edited:
Dinoseer, good luck with that argument.

Here is what the statutes say about motorized bicycles in Louisiana:

DEFINITIONS OF MOPEDS AND MOTORIZED BICYCLES

MOTOR DRIVEN CYCLE
- R.S. 32:1(39) defines as every motorcycle, including every motor scooter, with a motor not to exceed five horsepower.

MOTORIZED BICYCLE - R.S. 32:1(41) defines as a pedal bicycle which may be propelled by human power or helper motor, or by both, with a motor rated no more than one and one-half brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission, and which produces a maximum design speed at no more than twenty-five miles per hour on a flat surface."

REGISTRATION OF A VEHICLE - R.S. 47:501 requires every owner of a motor vehicle, trailer, or semi-trailer, or any other vehicle intended to be operated upon the public highways in this state to register the vehicle before driving.

PROCEDURE FOR REGISTRATION AND TITLING

Mopeds and motorized bicycles shall be registered and titled upon presentation of the following:

1. Notarized certificate of origin or title

2. Bill of sale

3. Evidence of security interest must be filed by a UCC-1 or equivalent form or by filing of the security agreement.

4. Odometer statement

LICENSE REQUIRED

1. - A motorized bicycle shall only be operated upon the roadway of the highways of this state by a person fifteen years of age or older who possesses a valid driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement and shall not be operated upon sidewalks, interstate highways or impede traffic flow.

2. No person may operate a moped or motorized bicycle without adhering to laws governing the operation of motorcycle including the wearing of approved eye protectors or a windshield and the wearing of a helmet.

NOTE: MOTORIZED BICYCLES SUCH AS POCKET BIKES AND SCOOTERS THAT DO NOT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POLICY SHALL NOT BE REGISTERED.

Note both paragraphs under License Required above. Both are positive requirements - in other words, you may only operate a "motorized bicycle" on public roads in this state if you are at least 15 years of age, and possess a valid drivers license. That "motorized bicycle" MUST be compliant with R.S. 32:1(41). Additionally, in order to operate on the roads here you must be compliant with R.S. 47:501 if you are operating a vehicle, which the statutes define a motorized bicycle to be.

You are exactly right Simple Simon... My Bicycle with an Assist Motor, does not qualify under the statute as written as a "Motorized Bicycle". My Bicycle is also not a "pocket bike" or "go ped" or "scooter" or "moped" or "motorcycle".

My Bicycle with an Assist Motor is just that, a Bicycle first and just does not meet this very specific definition. I studied this statute, plus the local laws here in Baton Rouge to specifically set up my transportation so it does not violate any laws.

I believe this particular law is written, as well as the Federal Mandate for Bicycles with Electric Motors, to encourage people to use alternative forms of transportation. Why specify engine size, horsepower and such if only to require the same encumbrances as a motorcycle? If Bicycles with Motors were meant to be defined as a motorcycle or scooter or moped, the law would state that in the definition. However, a motorcycle and a Bicycle with a Motor are treated and defined as two separate "things" in this statute.

Before the authorities worry about me on my Bicycle, they should concentrate on the dozens of children I see every day without helmets riding, despite being required by Louisiana Law.

Another citation from LA Statutes:

"Every person riding a bicycle upon a highway of this state shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this Chapter, except as to special regulations in this Part and except as to those provisions of this Chapter which by their very nature can have no application. (RS 32:194)"

Another from Baton Rouge City Code 11:1 -

" Motor vehicle shall mean every vehicle which is self-propelled, and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails, but excluding a motorized bicycle.

Motorcycle shall mean every motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three (3) wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding a tractor and excluding a motorized bicycle.

Motor-driven cycle shall mean every motorcycle, including every motor scooter, with a motor which produces not to exceed five (5) brake horsepower, and every bicycle with a motor attached.

Motorized bicycle shall mean a pedal bicycle which may be propelled by human power or helper motor, or by both, with a motor rated no more than one and one-half (1.5) brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty (50) cubic centimeters, an automatic transmission, and which proceeds a maximum design speed of not more than twenty-five (25) miles per hour on a flat surface. "

By this local law definition, my Bicycle with an Assist Motor is excluded as being classified as a Motor Vehicle. This exclusion under Baton Rouge City Code means no Title, Registration, License, Insurance, etc. It took me a minute to find this again. I hope this helps...

But, one still needs to have a Louisiana Driver's License with a Motorcycle Endorsement to ride/operate it just the same.

Dat Bike Guy!

Is a motorcycle endorsement is necessary to operate a bicycle in any state? Wait until I make my flying bicycle - I know there are no laws regarding having a flying bicycle...

Is a motorcycle endorsement is necessary to operate a bicycle in any state? Wait until I make my flying bicycle - I know there are no laws regarding having a flying bicycle...
Actually, there are.

The same laws as govern the use of any other experimental aircraft, of any sort.

I went with electric instead of gas. One reason is I was told by the Jefferson Parish police and La State Police that the more it looks like a motorcycle the more likely you will get pulled over with it. This is because about 10 years ago when small gas powered bikes started getting popular many people would try to ride them in the street (traffic lanes, not side of the road) and they would cause accidents. Pedestrians would also get hurt if they rode them on a sidewalk. Thus they are more critical of anything with a gas motor on it.

I have read all the laws above and also asked the local and state police about my bike and it is perfectly legal with no drivers license or registration needed - as long as it is only clearly a bicycle with a motor on it.. and my electric 750 watt hub motor (motor installed in front or rear tire) fills the bill. On the streets you cannot drive over 20 mph by law BUT you can get away with 25 because this is the speed restriction for gas bikes, and all road bikes are capable of doing 30 mph unassisted anyway.

Back