Accepted proof of MPH

Be be absolutely fair there will never be a standard amongst the community when held mostly online, it's too easy for any John doe to tell his computer he is using 27.5 inch wheels when he's using 26, a GPS is accurate in the open air enough that I get readings from it that match my speedometer in my truck +/-2mph, but as mentioned going down a hill is probably going to skew a reading a bit.

I would say that both a computer and a GPS app, if used and information presented is done in good faith, is good enough, if you want 100% accurate results go to a racetrack or get a friendly cop/whatever person with a radar on a cold day and get some results.

Im just after an honest method of testing...if i go 45 i see no reason to say im doing 60 with false computer settings ...that wouldnt help me improve lol.

Im in central kansas so no hills to speak of and lots of country farm land roads.

We do have a drag strip nearby...you think 1320 feet is enough to see top speed?. Not sure what gear ill be trying it with...i guess ill have to experiment with gears to get the most out of it in 1320 feet.

Zeda ran a 12 second 1/8 mile pass @ 50mph so i have something to compare at least..sounds like he was geared too low though..topped out well before the line

timeslips are the only thing I put any stock in. that way you know it's flat ground and you know it's from a stop. most of those radar guns read high, cops usually round up or down, and gps is only accurate if there are no elevation changes, plus it's easy as hell to take a gps screenshot in your truck instead of on your bike.

I'd put some stock in that snapchat filter that shows speed too but I don't condone that.

Im just after an honest method of testing...if i go 45 i see no reason to say im doing 60 with false computer settings ...that wouldnt help me improve lol.

Im in central kansas so no hills to speak of and lots of country farm land roads.

We do have a drag strip nearby...you think 1320 feet is enough to see top speed?. Not sure what gear ill be trying it with...i guess ill have to experiment with gears to get the most out of it in 1320 feet.

Zeda ran a 12 second 1/8 mile pass @ 50mph so i have something to compare at least..sounds like he was geared too low though..topped out well before the line

if you're just running for e/t then topping out before the line isn't too big a deal, at least then you'll have a high average speed. he was probably geared the way he was to make sure he didn't lose any time on the 60 foot, and that's where you make or break a pass

As you said people tend to exagerate if you watch that video again and turn up the volume when he received his time slip both the time slip guy and the rider concured the time was a 16.08 not 12 sec and the time stamp on the video it's self also concures with that.Running the 1/4 mile for top speed isn't easy as the top speeds achived now in the 70's are done over long distances and very numericaly low ratio's to get there takes awhile.On the track the race is really against the clock and trying to accelerate as quickly as possible with out being over or under loaded with gearing and there fore your fastest times are done with gearing that allows pull right off the line and doesn't top out too soon before the end.Some times the fastest times I get are at lower mph because it pulled harder out of the hole to reduce the time and started to lose at the top end because it topped out to soon if that makes any sence to you idk but finding the balence for the best of both and be under 15 sec in the 1/8th or around 23 in the 1/4 takes some serious torque proper gearing and much higher flow rates and efficiency.

timeslips are the only thing I put any stock in. that way you know it's flat ground and you know it's from a stop. most of those radar guns read high, cops usually round up or down, and gps is only accurate if there are no elevation changes, plus it's easy as hell to take a gps screenshot in your truck instead of on your bike.

I'd put some stock in that snapchat filter that shows speed too but I don't condone that.

Its pretty flat where im at so im hoping a gps speed app will be fairly accurate for around the town but yea i like time slips also.

Last edited:
As you said people tend to exagerate if you watch that video again and turn up the volume when he received his time slip both the time slip guy and the rider concured the time was a 16.08 not 12 sec and the time stamp on the video it's self also concures with that.Running the 1/4 mile for top speed isn't easy as the top speeds achived now in the 70's are done over long distances and very numericaly low ratio's to get there takes awhile.On the track the race is really against the clock and trying to accelerate as quickly as possible with out being over or under loaded with gearing and there fore your fastest times are done with gearing that allows pull right off the line and doesn't top out too soon before the end.Some times the fastest times I get are at lower mph because it pulled harder out of the hole to reduce the time and started to lose at the top end because it topped out to soon if that makes any sence to you idk but finding the balence for the best of both and be under 15 sec in the 1/8th or around 23 in the 1/4 takes some serious torque proper gearing and much higher flow rates and efficiency.
Wow i didnt realize that..i was thinking the time slip guy maybe read the wrong side of the slip and that was his buddies time lol..he did leave him in the dust but yea its not 12 seconds.

Im familiar with drag racing..i raced an 87 mustang 5.0 that ran 11.01 @121 in the quarter after i left the nmra factory stock class..they destroyed that class and made it about who spent the most amount of money..when i left i was running 12.90s 13.00s at just over 100mph..Average times for most at the top of the class back in the 90s.

I added an edelbrock performer efi intake and a 70mm edelbrock throttle body..long tube headers, 30lb injectors,and added 175 shot of nos with a larger 190lph fuel pump and regulator to hit 11 ohs...sold that car over 15yrs ago...was a fun street car.

Ill just have to see what im after most...i know i like acceleration more than top speed but im sure ill experiment with both.

Id rather do 0 to 50 in as short a time as possible than 60 in a 1/2 mile.

Last edited:
Well I don't take a photograph on the internet with any more salt than the sayings on the internet. I would assume most users here who smell nothing like a pile of bull s**t will give honest results, I would hold gps with a higher standard if the reading was consistent for an 1/8 mile stretch than most analog speedos, and if they used a computer I'd assume they set it up right and at least attempted to verify to themselves the computer was accurate, cause what's the point it it wasn't?

Then there's the people who claim they bluetoothed a tazer sort of hookup to their phone as a form of security and claim other very odd or off sounding things that I have a hard time believing, those people I don't naturally tend to believe when they give results. Likewise if their bike looks like it fell out of a dumpster or if they are on the site asking some very extremely novice questions and then make claims of speeds of 50 some miles an hour on a single speed bike and claim it has so much power they don't have to pedal out the line at all or up hills... Well you know where I'm going with this...

I know I can travel 45+, the traffic that is doing the 45+ speed limit around me isn't getting farther away and also not running me over, and I have a GPS that also confirms my speeds of 45+ so that's that I guess. A lot of roads, like 95% of them, around me are a 25mph limit, I've driven them so much that I can tell I'm traveling 29mph without looking at the speedometer in the truck, I can just perceive the rate I'm moving at due to repeated driving at that speed, most of us here can accurately drive in that speed limit without having to see it simply because it's so commonly seen. I can tell about 35-40 mph pretty good too, it's just experience.

My GPS sways in and out within 2mph of 29 when I "feel" like I'm going about 29. It sways in the truck too but no where enough for me to deny it as being good enough. If you used the GPS in the summer and gave us a reading, chances are even if it was a high reading you'll be hitting it anyway in the winter when you can gain a couple mph.

That's my take lol.

Wow i didnt realize that..i was thinking the time slip guy maybe read the wrong side of the slip and that was his buddies time lol..he did leave him in the dust but yea its not 12 seconds.

Im familiar with drag racing..i raced an 87 mustang 5.0 that ran 11.01 @121 in the quarter after i left the nmra factory stock class..they destroyed that class and made it about who spent the most amount of money..when i left i was running 12.90s 13.00s at just over 100mph..Average times for most at the top of the class back in the 90s.

I added an edelbrock performer efi intake and a 70mm edelbrock throttle body..long tube headers, 30lb injectors,and added 175 shot of nos with a larger 190lph fuel pump and regulator to hit 11 ohs...sold that car over 15yrs ago...was a fun street car.

Ill just have to see what im after most...i know i like acceleration more than top speed but im sure ill experiment with both.

Id rather do 0 to 50 in as short a time as possible than 60 in a 1/2 mile.
As would many doing only 40 right now.0-50 quickly can be done on the stock gearing but the engine will be spining almost 12 grand and they dont do that for very long and at those r's failures tend to grenade just before it ceases up lol they are cheap engines and have alot of potentail but also have there limits.I too love to accelerate as hard as possible all the way to the topend if able or at least the speed limit if not,my gear ratio for the track or running the 1/4 is 2.72 and hits around 62 mph at 9 grand just inside the trap.I run a 2.36 ratio on the street yes I have to peddal a little bit to get going from a stop but then once it start's to pull it's fine and still strong enough to keep pace with traffic and then at 40mph my engine is only spinning 5 grand and just on the pipe very fun in traffic when you can still accelerate from that point hard to 60 and beyond and not be over reving the engine.

As would many doing only 40 right now.0-50 quickly can be done on the stock gearing but the engine will be spining almost 12 grand and they dont do that for very long and at those r's failures tend to grenade just before it ceases up lol they are cheap engines and have alot of potentail but also have there limits.I too love to accelerate as hard as possible all the way to the topend if able or at least the speed limit if not,my gear ratio for the track or running the 1/4 is 2.72 and hits around 62 mph at 9 grand just inside the trap.I run a 2.36 ratio on the street yes I have to peddal a little bit to get going from a stop but then once it start's to pull it's fine and still strong enough to keep pace with traffic and then at 40mph my engine is only spinning 5 grand and just on the pipe very fun in traffic when you can still accelerate from that point hard to 60 and beyond and not be over reving the engine.
I run stock gearing for racing and top off around 52-53 miles per hour. on the street I run taller gears, my ears can't take that much noise for long. mine's lasted plenty long spinning that rpm. just swap out all the bearings and balance the crank and you'll have a reliable system.

I had the darn piston pin "C" clip snap off at 10,000rpm, about 44mph with the stock gearing.
I was using this type:
s-l225.jpg

And one of the legs snapped off.
I highly recommend getting better "C" clips for high rpm stuff;

Back