After nearly being run over 3 times in the last week, I decided to get loud with a set of cheapo Harbor Freight chrome car horns.

Zombie cagers turning right and cutting bicyclists off has long been a problem. I found that people do it a lot less when one wears a motorcycle helmet and rides just off-center of the right lane before every intersection. Still happens occasionally tho. Semper vigilans.

When I first started out, cars would pass then turn right, right in front of me. Now I use the whole right lane. When approaching a right turn spot. Yesterday I had a lady turn left right in front of me. We were even making eye contact. She was looking right into my eyes as she turned and I had to hit my brakes hard to keep from landing in her back seat.

Ohh.. Did i just get lucky then, or people here in europe know how to drive better? Or just that im a big guy and they are scared of me damaging their vehicle if i go into them...

i even had a bus stop when he should have gone, and i was stopped at the intersection.

I'd be willing to bet the average European driver knows how to drive better than the average American driver, especially in an area like Phoenix, AZ where they never get snow and rarely get rain. People literally never have to pay more than the slightest bit of attention to safely get places which makes for the perfect storm of zombie drivers. Not to mention that once anywhere north of here starts to get cold, the "snowbirds" start flocking to this area. Snowbirds are typically 65+ retirees that are even worse at driving than the locals.

Haven't had a chance to use the horn on anyone yet to check its efficacy but I'm getting this bad feeling that it's not going to be loud enough. When I was riding to an appointment yesterday, I noticed that I can barely hear the horn over the sound of an unmuffled mz65 at 6000+ rpm.

I suppose I'll hold off on buying a different horn until I figure out if this setup works when the next idiot tries to run me over. If it doesn't I'll more than likely grab a pair of air horns off of Amazon for $30-40. I'd go for a single trumpet but I have no clue where the hell I'd strap an 18in long horn on this bike where the dual horn kits are only about 12 in long and conveniently have a mounting plate at the very back so I could bolt it to the front of my forks (where the current setup is on the back of the forks using the same hole).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GCR57QW/

Or I might get one of these nautilus compact horns, they seem to be just as loud and take up far less space
https://www.amazon.com/Stebel-11690019-Nautilus-Compact-Black/dp/B00CMX20H4/

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Was it your horn that you could barely hear? kinda confused.
If yes keep in mind, they are designed to shoot the sound forward, and youre behind them.

the nautilus horn is a knockoff of a proper motorcycle horn, just as loud tho. i saw a guy testing them, if you want me to i can find the vid for you. they are kinda like an electric air horn.

i'd assume people in europe may not just/do drive better, but the fact is most of the cars are manual, so you alredy have to pay more attention.

When I first started out, cars would pass then turn right, right in front of me. Now I use the whole right lane. When approaching a right turn spot. Yesterday I had a lady turn left right in front of me. We were even making eye contact. She was looking right into my eyes as she turned and I had to hit my brakes hard to keep from landing in her back seat.
Happens a lot, that's why a left hand review mirror is a must. Folks coming out of driveways are the next most dangerous thing and getting side swiped.

i think you need to get one of them horns you squeeze that goes honka.honk,,, or a big azzz AIR HORN that also releases some flames in the process that says look MOFO I AM RIGHT HERE!!.

either that or carry a flamethrower on ya back so when they come close to hitting you just set it off and melt there tires to the road :p

Or just go with the missile launcher Chris mentioned lol

tbh both are doable, but to just get fireworks is easier :LOL:

Was it your horn that you could barely hear? kinda confused.
If yes keep in mind, they are designed to shoot the sound forward, and youre behind them.

the nautilus horn is a knockoff of a proper motorcycle horn, just as loud tho. i saw a guy testing them, if you want me to i can find the vid for you. they are kinda like an electric air horn.

i'd assume people in europe may not just/do drive better, but the fact is most of the cars are manual, so you alredy have to pay more attention.

It was the horn that I could barely hear over the unbridled racket of the mz65 pipe. I'll aim them back at myself and see how loud they sound the next time I'm out riding to get a better idea.

I figured the Nautilus was a knockoff of the Marco Tornado Horn and that doesn't bother me as this bike will only be wearing knockoff cheap components. If I wanted nice and reliable I wouldn't have strapped a Chinese 2 stroke engine to one of the cheapest Walmart Huffy cruiser bikes sold haha. Not to mention the cheapest bike rack available from amazon, or the cheapest pair of 12v led headlights from amazon, or the cheapest muffler from amazon (which isn't currently equipped), or the cheapest 12v SLA battery from amazon, or the cheapest silicone wire, or the cheapest harbor freight horns, or the cheapest metal twist throttle, etc. Basically, this build always has and always will be focused on "the best bang for the buck".

I think the only "nice" parts I have are the CDH CNC head, my rear tire and rear innertube. Everything else is the absolute cheapest I could get.

Happens a lot, that's why a left hand review mirror is a must. Folks coming out of driveways are the next most dangerous thing and getting side swiped.

I'm currently using this mirror and it's nearly useless with how badly it vibrates while riding. I only have the left side installed since the right mirror is fairly pointless on a bike.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076V6F6LR

I'm going to leave the horn be for now and instead spend the time/money on installing a set of handlebar end led turn signals and replace the cornucopia of various switches with a single 5 button unit that has 3 toggle and 2 momentary switches. I figure I'll put the horn and kill on the 2 momentary switches, use 2 of the toggles for left/right blinker and the final toggle for the headlights that I got.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133033013853

Between the 50ft spool of 18g silicone black/red wire, pair of LED handlebar end blinkers, 2 pin LED blinker relay, and 5 button switch, it should only cost about $30-35 to get this bike properly wired up. I plan on drilling some strategic holes and running the wires through the frame to where I'll be mounting the battery box on the rear cargo rack so it'll look a fair bit cleaner. Hell, while I'm at it I may try to route the throttle and choke cables through the frame if I can make the angles work.

Eventually, I plan on adding an additional pair of blinkers to the rear cargo rack to ensure people can see when I'm turning which should further reduce the need for a horn.

EDIT: Here's my lovely MSpaint wiring diagram.

bike wiring diagram.png

I probably should also figure out what size fuses I need but for now, I'll live on the edge and go fuseless.

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back