Aluminium anodising?

Stoneman

Local time
1:14 PM
Has anyone done any aluminium anodising?
Just getting few more bits and pieces and should have everything. Just confused on the cathode as some use aluminium plate or lead?
Wondering how finish the alloy to start with, I have a mini sandblaster but nut sure if that’s the go

Maybe a wire brush? Steel or brass wheel?

Anyone have any experience with it?

Not sure about cathode material but since aluminum is the anode I would think it's something elese,When I've had parts done glossy almost metalic finish comes from buffed and just slightly polished,Brushed surfaces will show especaily in light colours and rougher unfinished surfaces tend to look deeper but flater no shine lol.

Yeah I might go with lead to start with.
I’ll just have to do a heap of testing I guess with different finishes

Using black first

Go with aluminum as the cathode, a similar alloy if possible less cross contamination, do not use steel wire brush small particles of steel embed in the aluminum go brass if wire brushing, I prefer glass beading or aluminum oxide blast, if you need any info I anodize small parts.

Go with aluminum as the cathode, a similar alloy if possible less cross contamination, do not use steel wire brush small particles of steel embed in the aluminum go brass if wire brushing, I prefer glass beading or aluminum oxide blast, if you need any info I anodize small parts.

Awesome
Yep have glass beads and going to get some aluminium oxide today to test the finish as the medium glass media is a little much for what I’m looking for
Got a brass wheel yesterday, lucky they only had brass ones available! Lol
Using sulphuric acid in the bath and just running with the process people are using on utube to get started

I’ll post up what I’m doing and you might be able to point out some things

I started testing the affects of caustic soda cleaning and what it does with leaving it in for different times yesterday and found it can start pit the surface if left to long
I’m not sure if they are pockets of empurities or not

Going to do some better testing for base results today if the misso dosent ruin it lol
image.jpg
This is the power supply I got off fleabay to use

Last edited:
That is a nice unit though I don't see the power ratings, I have a crude multi tap transformer and a home made rectifier not very accurate but than neither are my calculations for surface area.

Back