An acetone success

I tried acetone in my car about a year ago when there was a lot in the news about it. It did nothing except give the exhaust a slightly fruity smell. But it DOES work well in my bike! As I pointed out in an earlier post, results vary with the engine.

I can assure you I have no connection to any acetone producing company. (or any other company for that matter) I will continue to use it on a regular basis, and I doubt anything anyone can say in here against its use will make me stop.

Like I said before, I don't doubt that there was a change in performance - the question is why did performance change, and at what cost to durability, and reliability.

If a two stroke engine is "four cycling", the air/fuel ratio is incorrect. (most likely on the rich side) If acetone helps this condition, then good for you! I would just rather fix the root cause, that's all. :)

HI all,
I just tried acetone in my bike, power king shop 80. It ran real well before but always had a little bit of four cycling at about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, heard the carb needles are not tapered properly, acetone cleaned it right up. I will be adding acetone from now on.
Hill climber

And that link leads to another article back in 2005. In these time of woe it would be interesting to find if this is a bunk or another oil industry way to make cash by supressing viable technology.

The thing I am interested in personally is if a tsp of acetone in a gallon of gas makes my china 2 stroke run cleaner. I really don't think I need to be putting to much into better mpg. My truck is supposed to run on 87 octane and my car 91. When I fill my truck I fill my gas cans. The bikes get 87 because of this fact. BTW I get 5 MPT on the truck and car (months per tank) and about 1/2 MPT on each bike LOL.

And that link leads to another article back in 2005. In these time of woe it would be interesting to find if this is a bunk or another oil industry way to make cash by supressing viable technology.......

Like I said before, if acetone actually increased mileage or power without damaging fuel system components, "big oil" would have patented the formulation and would be marketing it. It costs far more money to extract crude oil from the ground than it does to add some nail polish remover at the refinery. The oil companies goals (any companies goals, for that matter) are maximizing profit, and if they can make more money and sell less oil it would have been done.

Back