Another dumb idea. đź‘Ť

I think it could be done fairly easy being a 2stroke. Is aliexpress only place offering that engine setup. I'm kinda interested as well. I think a heavyweight schwinn cruiser would be cool & handle the power & weight. I think you should build IT!!!

I think it could be done fairly easy being a 2stroke. Is aliexpress only place offering that engine setup. I'm kinda interested as well. I think a heavyweight schwinn cruiser would be cool & handle the power & weight. I think you should build IT!!!
Aliexpress is the only source I have found thus far. I have bought through them on many occasions and have yet to be scammed. They accept PayPal, which adds a layer of security.

I am sure they may pop up from time to time on ebay as well, but I couldn't say for certain.

Is there a particular schwinn you were thinking of?

As far as the wide crank set up, you can buy a 3 piece bottom bracket adapter, then just sand the threads out of it & 99502h bearings will press in the bottom bracket adapter. Then you can use 5/8" keyed shaft for the pedal shaft. You can then use the pedal sprocket from a wide crank set & it fits a 5/8shaft almost perfect. Then just buy keyed shaft couplers to weld your cranks on, then your pedal & cranks are held on the 5/8" keyed shaft with the 4 set screws in the shaft coupler.

Aliexpress is the only source I have found thus far. I have bought through them on many occasions and have yet to be scammed. They accept PayPal, which adds a layer of security.

I am sure they may pop up from time to time on ebay as well, but I couldn't say for certain.

Is there a particular schwinn you were thinking of?
Look up heavyweight schwinn cruiser, there was a bunch of different models. But they were a heavy wall pipe frame. Believe high tensile steel as well.

I don't think a standard bike axle, or even a chromoly one would stand the shifting for long
The point isn't really to shift gears while riding more than it is to have a range of gears for potential need. No different than a jackshaft setup. You could probably keep it in third 90% of the time. Use second for Hilly areas, 4th for flat ground. Plus, the gear change itself won't cause any shock, it would be the clutch and power application.

Also, if I were to do this I would drop the money on a set of Gemini wheels. The rear uses a 12mm axle and big sealed bearings with 11ga spokes.

The shifting thing was something I actually have.been trying to give some thought to. A Suicide shifter would be the easiest route to.go, but I wonder if I could make some kind of cable actuated thumb shifter. It would need.to be spring loaded so it returned to center after a shift.

The point isn't really to shift gears while riding more than it is to have a range of gears for potential need. No different than a jackshaft setup. You could probably keep it in third 90% of the time. Use second for Hilly areas, 4th for flat ground. Plus, the gear change itself won't cause any shock, it would be the clutch and power application.

Also, if I were to do this I would drop the money on a set of Gemini wheels. The rear uses a 12mm axle and big sealed bearings with 11ga spokes.
That's a great idea. I was thinking you were wanting to shift while riding and I don't think it would end up well.
The shifting thing was something I actually have.been trying to give some thought to. A Suicide shifter would be the easiest route to.go, but I wonder if I could make some kind of cable actuated thumb shifter. It would need.to be spring loaded so it returned to center after a shift.
I love the look of a suicide shifter on most bikes. You could just run the foot shift if you ran without pedals.

That's a great idea. I was thinking you where wanting to shift while riding and I don't think it would end up well.

I love the look of a suicide shifter on most bikes. You could just run the foot shift if you ran without pedals.
Nah, no need to shift all the time while riding. I don't want to actually go fast with it. 40mph top speed would be plenty. I would rather have the climbing power of the lower gears for the steep hills, and the high gear to keep the rpm down. I may be crazy, but 50+ on a bike isn't on my "need to do" list

I do want the pedals as well. I still want it to function as a bicycle if needed.

Back