Engine Trouble Another power loss story

Well THANK YOU for the concern REALLY! I've missed two days of work ....so far, But i've been through this many times before. I'm 49 and don't know it,:unsure: but I am learning that it is taking longer to shake a scrape off!!!

I have recently experienced a loss in power, also. I just reached 2,000 miles on my 66cc with all the original parts minus a few bolts. I checked the muffler (I was getting some drips so I sealed it with some copper gasket sealant), replaced the in-line fuel filter (I was getting particles blocking the jet a couple of times), changed the spark plug (I didn't need to though it was a nice tan color). I purchased a new piston and rings and will try that next. I have a brand new spare motor waiting in case this one is toast. She has served me well. 20 ft/second = 13.636364 mph.

"If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is."

I am completely lost as to the point of the lady being in the photo. It's a bit like scantily clad women holding boxes of bananas at a primary produce trade show,,,,,,, to sell,,,,,, bananas.
It's completely ridiculous.

To associate scantily clad women with our hobby/transport is also ridiculous.

After over 1200 miles of happy commuting, my happy time started not being so happy :cry: My friend 5-7 Heaven and I are planning on some fun Island rides, and I am trying to get the old girl together. :cool: I was sorta thread jacking the carb thread, so started here.

Details are:
- 66cc Gasbike kit, just a basic motor on a cheap beach cruser
- 36T sprocket, 12 gauge spokes and upgraded rims
- NGK plug, upgraded wire, and sickbike parts bolt kit
- Rubber fuel line with inline filter

The bike was running great, rolling at 25-28 easy, had hit 35 on flats with no wind. I rode it over 100 miles a week, and was a daily rider for months. I was just bragging to a friend how great the bike was running. Then I rode it home, and noticed no power, serious bog when I hit the throttle, and it was surging RPM at idle.

- Started to investigate, my main guess was a carb problem.
- I redid the gasket on the intake port, and 5-7 had a sparke pocketbike carb setup. After that the bike ran better, no surging, but would not rev up on the RPM's.
- Checked the fuel flow, and it was a trickle. Pulled out the in tank filter of the petcock, it is better, but still not a gush.
- Really no change in performance.
- Thinking the exhaust might be clogged, I put a spare I have on the bike, also no change.
- Swapped the plug with the unused stocker, and it is about the same still.
- Pulled the head, and I was suprised to find no gasket. No signs of blow out though. It was greasy and wet, I cleaned it up. Cmpression seems strong with the thumb test, I can get a gauge to check if needed.
- There is some leakage at the base gasket. I will prob try taking it off and just doing the high-temp RTV.
- I ordered a new head gasket and slant head, will see if that helps.

I will keep everyone posted. Not sure what else to try yet. If I have to buy a new engine I will. I my gasbike :)

Ed

Bummer! I got 5,000miles outta my last kit and I only had to change a couple drive wheels and adjust the carb a few times. I never had good luck with those chain drives. I switched to friction and its proven to be the better choice for my needs!

I am completely lost as to the point of the lady being in the photo. It's a bit like scantily clad women holding boxes of bananas at a primary produce trade show,,,,,,, to sell,,,,,, bananas.
It's completely ridiculous.

To associate scantily clad women with our hobby/transport is also ridiculous.

Listen mate, if riding one of these gets me the "company" of scantily clad young ladies, I'm going full steam ahead.

It would be a wonderful pipe dream but unfortunately anecdotal evidence suggests that motorized bicycles don't attract scantily clad young ladies; ironically, those women are attracted to other forms of transport with an engine, especially if wearing a Ferrari badge and a senior male driver with a Gold American Express credit card for her personal disposal.

Ludwig, you might find it a hard score because women are getting picky these days; they feel a sense of self entitlement to getting a man with both model good looks and serious money, but you might just find one who has lowered her standards; deluding herself that your Mercedes baseball might be a direct link to a well stocked bank account that's a mobile cash dispensary for her personal use.

Is this motor toast?

I have recently experienced a loss in power, also. I just reached 2,000 miles on my 66cc with all the original parts minus a few bolts. I checked the muffler (I was getting some drips so I sealed it with some copper gasket sealant), replaced the in-line fuel filter (I was getting particles blocking the jet a couple of times), changed the spark plug (I didn't need to though it was a nice tan color). I purchased a new piston and rings and will try that next. I have a brand new spare motor waiting in case this one is toast. She has served me well. 20 ft/second = 13.636364 mph.

Well, after inspecting everything I discovered that the ?arm bearing assembly? (arm.jpg and arm2.jpg) was damaged and there was A LOT of side-to-side play on the piston. I don't know if that was the cause for the power loss but I decided to throw my new motor on regardless. I was hoping I could get some feedback from some of the senior members on here for some insight. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• arm.jpg
    arm.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 156
  • arm2.jpg
    arm2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 126
  • jug.jpg
    jug.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 117
  • jug2.jpg
    jug2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 125
  • piston.jpg
    piston.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 132
  • piston2.jpg
    piston2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 132
Wow, the engine would have been making a horrible rattling sound, well before the brass bushing was completely hammered out.

One of my engines had a similar small end connecting rod bushing; and when the rattles got so noisy that i could take it anymore, the top end was disassembled for inspection.

The bushing had a total of 0.7mm ovalisation which is way, way, way less than the bushing in the photos.

For the life of me, i can't even begin to imagine how you could have not only ridden the bike with such a badly damaged small end bushing (before it reached the point of total failure), but put up with the insane rattling noise; giving permanent hearing loss for anything more than 30 seconds.

Back