Auger powered scooter project

I think I have achieved front and rear brakes, but there's no telling until tomorrow. I'll take it out tomorrow morning after figuring out what I'm gonna do with the seat, I want it up much higher.

I took the rotor and welded it to the old front drum that I swapped out for a bigger one(more stopping power, plus it was just a random part on the shelf). Thankfully the rotor had bolt holes in it so I could plug weld it on all the holes. Surprisingly I didn't warp the rotor when I welded it.

View attachment 195487
Stick weld or flux core? And please clean the slag off between passes and when you're done.

I like it, particularly the degree of control involved. Mig is "easy" because there is less control during the weld but that's why I'm not a fan.
Mig has its place and advantages just like every other form of welding. None of them are outright superior to the other, just superior for certain tasks.

TIG has precision and control, but can be slow. It's great for welding more exotic materials. It does require a great deal of knowledge and experience to be truly good at it, such as knowing how to shape your Tungsten rods for a desired weld result, etc.

MIG is fast, easy to adjust, and relatively easy to use. It's perfect for most welding tasks in an industrial or construction setting and offers enough control to do most jobs.

Arc/stick welding is simple and portable. Makes it great for field work or basic welding jobs, and is the most budget friendly in terms of power vs. Cost. Very experienced welders can even stick weld thinner metal, but that is a level of skill that needs to be learned and practiced.

Stick welding is also more structural. If you want somthing structural to hold up you best bet is stick. This however doesn't really matter until you are working on things much larger than a motorized bicycle.

Stick welding is also more structural. If you want somthing structural to hold up you best bet is stick. This however doesn't really matter until you are working on things much larger than a motorized bicycle.
Most construction welding on structural beams is done with mig these days. The welding is more continuous as they can have a giant spool of wire fed externally.

Most construction welding on structural beams is done with mig these days. The welding is more continuous as they can have a giant spool of wire fed externally.
My teacher says mig is really good for out of position and long welds. I could not imagine trying to do a 36 inch weld over head with smaw. Mig isnt bad, I just prefer to have more control during the weld but fitment is the most important part. Smaw has very good penetration when electrode positive.

Back