Engine Trouble Best spark plug for a YD100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ImpulseRocket,

Are you running the NGK-BR8HS plug in your Phantom???...I am running it in mine and it seems like it is the perfect plug to burn in these Phantoms,,,Beautiful chocolate/coffee brown colour when I recently checked...I am also, at least during breakin, running the needle valve two grooves richer than I normally would since it appears these things like to run a little richer, (I'm at a 4500 ft altitude), I am guessing it might be due to the reed valve.

I am used to running my bikes at full lean because of my altitude, but wondering where I should finalise my needle valve postion once I have fully completed breakin on this Phantom as it seems to be a different little beastie than most of the CGs...It's presently in the middle groove.
I run a BPMR7A on my Phantom. Same plug the MS460 saws run and it works well. I wouldn't say they love being rich but they definitely tolerate it much better than many other engines do. Given how they do run a bit hotter than your typical CG engine the extra fuel isn't entirely a bad thing either.

I am dead serious. If you think just increasing the heat range of the plug makes an engine run hotter by default there is no helping you. I can also tell that no matter what I say you won't accept basic physics for what it is. The heat range has to do with how deep the gas pocket and far the porcelain extends over the center electrode which directly affects the rate at which the plug can shed heat during operation. That's it. It doesn't make the engine run hotter unless you are too far out of the temperature range for the engine during it's operation - thus a running issue is created. If my engine is running a B8HS and I install a B6HS and the B6HS is within the ideal thermal operating range during the engines operation (thus meaning the plug is not causing a running issue of any kind) my engine will not miraculously run hotter because of it. Not sure if I can explain it any simpler than that.

If you want to say anything to the contrary of that I invite you to post a reputable source.

I also invite you to read through this simple guide from a major spark plug manufacturer on what Heat Range actually is. https://www.denso.com/global/en/products-and-services/automotive-service-parts-and-accessories/plug/basic/heatrange/#:~:text=A spark plug only functions,C and 950°C.
it shouldn't increase operating temperature if you're inside the correct heat range :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

it can and certainly will increase operating temperatures if you're too far outside of the correct heat range leading to premature aging of your engine :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL: what do you not understand?

it can and certainly will increase operating temperatures if you're too far outside of the correct heat range leading to premature aging of your engine :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL: what do you not understand?
I think we need that dead horse again...lol..."what do you not understand?"...lol...lol.

I hope for your sake you mean leading to pre-det is which is the only thing that can attribute to hotter running temps... like @ImpulseRocket89 said... otherwise I think you should stop before you make a bigger fool of yourself. There is a lot of information online and elsewhere regarding spark plug temp ratings.

If you want to say anything to the contrary of that I invite you to post a reputable source.
ImpulseRocket has a very valid point you know...He is citing the spark plug manufacturers as reputable sources for what he is saying and has invited you to do the same...I'm waiting for your reputable sources that YOU are using to back your assertations and rebuttal's to his posts.

Other forum members as well as myself thrive on provable, factual, information that is backed up and cited by reputable sources.

Ps...You DO know Josh that I was an ASE certified master mechanic before my second retirement after retiring from Police work, Right???...lol.
This stuff is in the ASE certification exams that I had to pass in order to be certified...lol....I passed by the way...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back