Bicycle Box Trailer

Fabian

Local time
5:36 PM
Sometimes you have moments of inspiration - turning packing crates into a bicycle box trailer.

Fabian

Attachments

• Box Trailer 1.JPG
    Box Trailer 1.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 1,348
  • Box Trailer 2.JPG
    Box Trailer 2.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 1,102
  • Box Trailer 3.JPG
    Box Trailer 3.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 821
  • Box Trailer 4.JPG
    Box Trailer 4.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 671
Just a suggestion. If your going to run that thing in the weather? I'd systematically remove the corner supports and run a bead of silicone calk so that water don't get behind it! Rubber blocks under the suspension where it mounts to the frame and rubber insulation strip along the top lip (between lid and body) will add water seal and quiet it drammatically. Thats one killer build! One of the better I've seen!

That's one awesome trailer!

Last edited:
The trailer is not quite finished.

I want to add an aluminium carry rack, a set of gas struts for automatic lifting of the lid and a 12 volt, 10 amp lithium battery kit to run trailer brake lights, indicators, reversing lights and a pair of 100 watt driving lights mounted on the front vertical section, adjoing the trailer lid at the hinges.

The battery kit will also power the brake lights and indicators on the mountain bike and the front wheel will have a high current hub installed for regenerative braking.
Another concept which i want to adopt is for both trailer wheels to have a high current electric hubs installed with even more power available to the the motorised bicycle setup and to add extra regenerative braking capacity to the system, feeding power back to the battery upon using the brakes.

This baby is going to be a high-tech - a pusher trailer and a stopper trailer too.
With electric hubs the possibilty of an anti lock braking system (ABS) becomes a real possibility - this would be the ultimate expression of ingenuity

I am sure someone else could build an even better, smarter system and i would dearly love for someone to be taken by enthusiasm and """just do it"" - making it happen when everyone else is telling you "it can't be done".

Motorised bicycling is has humble roots but the quest for a more professional approach to build quality and safe performance is contagious, especially after talking it over with the boys when having one of those garage brain storming sessions that get out of control.

Fabian

I hope you didn't take me wrong?

I want to add an aluminium carry rack, a set of gas struts for automatic lifting of the lid and a 12 volt, 10 amp lithium battery kit to run trailer brake lights, indicators, reversing lights and a pair of 100 watt driving lights mounted on the front vertical section, adjoing the trailer lid at the hinges.

All excellent ideas, so long as you leave room for the fish locator and radar dectector! LOL! Just joking!

Music is a serious consideration as well as insulating that thing!

Hi machiasmort

I must admit, i do like the wheel wells myself and i intended to make them an asthetic feature.
In all honesty, building the wheel wells as a square box section would have been simpler but i wanted something a bit different, it's the way they work so pleasingly on the eye; thing everyone seems to comment on.
The most difficult part of the build process though was hand filing all the 45 degree cuts on the aluminium sections - i hate gaps and love perfection, but getting those angle cuts perfect was a nightmare, not as bad as the electrical problems i had with my last replacement engine though.

Cheers Fabian

My thoughts are exactly that, some of the other guy's on this board are brilliant... I pay attention to detail as much as possible tho. Taking in knowledge like a sponge!!! Some smart people on this thing!

One of our members "Simon" is one of the wiz's for add on's. I hope he'll see it and throw his 2Cents in!

If you get a chance??? I'd like to see a closer look at how you connected it to the frame of the bike???

I think it would be cool to make a Pop-up version of your trailer for camping!!! The idea will get your head spinning, I'm sure!!!

Back