BICYCLE MOTOR FRICTION DRIVE KIT Honda GX35 35 cc 1.60 hp Four Cycle Complete kit

I'm getting a bit turned off with the chain drive systems and considering getting a friction drive setup because there are a lot less parts and installation is easy and will fit just about any bike made. I can envision some pitfalls but was wondering if anyone has used a friction drive on dirt roads (and muddy roads) and how well it works. There are a lot of dirt roads in my area. And what's the lowdown using a friction drive on a wet street? Is there much slippage? I don't make a habit of driving in the rain, but have been out many times AFTER a rain when the streets are still wet. And just HOW much tire wear is there with the friction drive. I'm assuming it doesn't work well with knobby tires.

Mucho slippage. The fine dirt powder will make it slip. Going thru a puddle will make it slip. Morning dew will make it slip.

While slippage is occurring you are eating tire at 4x the normal rate. The DE system boasts a stone drive wheel for those conditions. Bunk. It slips/spins and mills the PTO shaft thinner.

There are rare few tires that with work with friction drive. Only one really.

I just converted over to gebe belt drive. I ate $350+ because I bet on the wrong bike motor pony.

Michael

Mucho slippage. The fine dirt powder will make it slip. Going thru a puddle will make it slip. Morning dew will make it slip.

While slippage is occurring you are eating tire at 4x the normal rate. The DE system boasts a stone drive wheel for those conditions. Bunk. It slips/spins and mills the PTO shaft thinner.

I just converted over to gebe belt drive. I ate $350+ because I bet on the wrong bike motor pony.

Michael

How's the gebe belt drive working out? I can imagine the belt drive would align better than chain but I've mounted one of those giant Whizzer type belt sheaves to a wheel before and it's not a lot of fun getting it true. Wish there was a good alloy wheel (no spokes) with that sheave already mounted to it. Now that would make a good strong setup.

How's the gebe belt drive working out? I can imagine the belt drive would align better than chain but I've mounted one of those giant Whizzer type belt sheaves to a wheel before and it's not a lot of fun getting it true. Wish there was a good alloy wheel (no spokes) with that sheave already mounted to it. Now that would make a good strong setup.

Great idea. I envision that to be the next gen in bike motor belt drive. Does not have to be alloy though...those composite macro spoke rims would do well too.

The The drive ring trued right up. The double hull 36 spoke is the way to go it seems. From what I've read about people have trouble with the belt drive it seems to come down to having used crappy stock rims.

Michael

Last edited:
These kits don't press the roller onto the engine drive shaft. They use 4 bolts to mount a weeder motor to the rack and use a centrifugal clutch already on the motor, to turn the roller. Some types of rack drives let you swap the roller out in a minute or so, convenient for long hills or varied terrain.

Do you have a fric drive for sale?

I am a light weight rider who is interested in the Bike Motor Parts drive kit.
What do you have?

Michael

Back