Now that Sick Bike Parts has shut down, what's the off the shelf solutions to shifter bikes?

I bought up a bunch of SBP parts while they were reduced in price for future builds. Sprockets, bracketry, HD freewheel and a bunch of the hd bearings, etc. Some of that stuff you can easily buy yourself like the 5/8" keyed shaft and their bearings though.

That being said, a shift kit really isn't necessary with most builds. Simply pedal, start the motor, and ride. The shift kits add a lot of complexity where it really isn't needed, and the sheer number of gears and their narrow spacing are also a bit useless. You spend a lot of time shifting for minor changes in speed.

The only reason I want to hang on to this stuff is because I still want to do a shift kit build with a 3 speed internally geared hub, but with all of the chain in the system being 415h for proper durability.
Been running SBP HD shift kit for about 2 years now on stock bike chains and chain provided by them for it with no problems at all with the durability... Just letting you know. It's all how each individual shifts and rides or how much you're motors putting out... If you're running a minarelli or a saw motor then yea might need thicker chains but not for a stock motor...it'd probably just be more wear on gears or cogs, but that's just my opinion.

Been running SBP HD shift kit for about 2 years now on stock bike chains and chain provided by them for it with no problems at all with the durability... Just letting you know. It's all how each individual shifts and rides or how much you're motors putting out... If you're running a minarelli or a saw motor then yea might need thicker chains but not for a stock motor...it'd probably just be more wear on gears or cogs, but that's just my opinion.
Notice in my signature is a link to a phantom 85 build thread. No bicycle chain is going to withstand that engine. Even if I ran a different motor, I never run stock. I do port work and pipes, so even then, I still wouldn't trust it.

Notice in my signature is a link to a phantom 85 build thread. No bicycle chain is going to withstand that engine. Even if I ran a different motor, I never run stock. I do port work and pipes, so even then, I still wouldn't trust it.
The Shimano HG71 is probably the strongest bicycle chain I know of, followed by the SRAM P90, and then the KMC X99

Around $25 on eBay. It was designed to handle the torque of a mid-drive e-bike.
That may hold up better than the other options, but I still wouldn't trust it long term. My main plan was to eventually get a 3 speed hub, and then have hub sprocket and 2 crank arm sprockets made for a 415 chain.

That plan can easily be modified. It was just what was in my head. The custom sprockets will be a tad pricey though, and I have seen that one of the 3 speed hubs can be driven from the left side, and the entire jackshaft and all of the other excess can be eliminated. Much more tempting to go that route.

That may hold up better than the other options, but I still wouldn't trust it long term. My main plan was to eventually get a 3 speed hub, and then have hub sprocket and 2 crank arm sprockets made for a 415 chain.

That plan can easily be modified. It was just what was in my head. The custom sprockets will be a tad pricey though, and I have seen that one of the 3 speed hubs can be driven from the left side, and the entire jackshaft and all of the other excess can be eliminated. Much more tempting to go that route.
Which 3 speed hub?

99% chance that will be a much weaker link than a bike chain. No pun intended.

Which 3 speed hub?

99% chance that will be a much weaker link than a bike chain. No pun intended.
It's a Sturmey Archer, don't remember the model, but it's a 3 speed and considered to be one of, if not the strongest one.

I have already done a lot of homework on this, and I am not entirely an idiot (at least for some things lol). I don't jump into things blind. If it doesn't hold up, it doesn't hold up, but being more directly driven also means less actual torque on the input side, which should help a little with reliability.

You may want to try a 410 chain

Back