Bike won't start right away

Homosapien

Local time
11:15 PM
Hi
My 80cc(66cc) 2 stroke motorised bicycle won't start on the first try anymore. I've had it for about 6 months, running perfectly. Recently, it just randomly stopped starting first time.

I release the clutch whilst pedaling (choke on, engine cold, average outside temperature) and I could be pedaling all night with no turning over of the engine. Same result with the choke off but I hear the engine turning over but no start. I prime the carb and keep trying to start with random variations of choke until eventually it starts and works perfectly. I can cut the engine and then start it again immediately because the engine is still warm. I let it sit for 20 minutes and it won't start first time again.

Took the spark plug completely out and the engine turns over (in either chock position) so suggests something to do with ignition/spark. Checked the, fuel line, carb float and jet for debris and it's clear. Got a consistent spark. HT lead tests fine with volt meter. Got compression. Fuel mix is 32:1 and always usually runs fine. Tried different c clip positions. Adjusted clutch flower nut. Nothing seems to resolve it. Any advice?
Cheers in advance

What carburetor do you have or show us a pictures of engine

Hi
It's the stock NT carburettor, I believe. See the build in the pics attached. Just to add - I've inspected the carb reservoir (and checked float) and it was full, suggesting that the engine may be getting too much fuel as opposed to not enough, causing it to be harder to start. Not sure.
Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200519-091815_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200519-091815_Gallery.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 20200427_211329.jpg
    20200427_211329.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 154
Hi
It's the stock NT carburettor, I believe. See the build in the pics attached. Just to add - I've inspected the carb reservoir (and checked float) and it was full, suggesting that the engine may be getting too much fuel as opposed to not enough, causing it to be harder to start. Not sure.
Cheers
Not only check the reservoir (float bowl what it's normally called) check the height of the float. Drain the fuel and remove the carb from the bike, take off the float bowl and invert the carb, rest the float on the metal tang and measure from the gasket seat to top of float, should be 21 mm.

Ok now I had a issue before on those carbs from vibrating the nut on the choke lever behind air filter inspect that is working right.

Sweet. I think that fixed it. Located the tang in the carb and bent it towards the float bowl so that it stops the float from raising too high. Believe the problem was too much fuel flooding the carb. Started first time today, although it was extremely warm weather. I'll try starting tomorrow when it's cooler and see if that causes the problem to reoccur. Cheers guys

Back