Broken circlip equals Walk Of Shame!

Chop off that 7/8-1" and slap a 5/8 on for more punch and a quieter motor.
Lop off the stringer get a piece probably 3/4 OD, bend a little curve in it to match the chamber, maybe 6" of the end and slip that inside the existing pipe. Then weld it back up and end up with mid stinger pipe, doesn't even look much different the original.

Lop off the stringer get a piece probably 3/4 OD, bend a little curve in it to match the chamber, maybe 6" of the end and slip that inside the existing pipe. Then weld it back up and end up with mid stinger pipe, doesn't even look much different the original.
5/8th is better. I know, 1/8th an inch, but more bang, better fuel mileage too.

oh nevermind, you said OD, yeah I was going ID.

Lop off the stringer get a piece probably 3/4 OD, bend a little curve in it

If only I did m/b when I was working. The non-mandrel empty-bent headers on these pipes are bent like crap. I coulda done better on lunch break!

Grab some EGR pipe demo tube, throw it in a mandrel / wiper rotary draw CNC bender, whup up a program, load a pipe.

I could totally tear down a machine, reset it in 10 minutes, whip out a set (actually 50 sets ..it was a trials runoff) of handlebars that'd make a Harley proud (BTDT Rockford Ill), or form a 180° header loop that makes the owners of Pro Circuit smile (they loved that bender till it wore out, I enjoyed hanging out in SoCal with that bunch of crazies).

Honda, Yamaha, Polaris, all have parts bent on $200,000 machines that I set up, here, there, everywhere (on Earth at least but there are some aerospace mfgrs in there too so maybe some of my pipes went orbital). There's BMX bike makers in the mix too. I travelled the world making sure cyclists had only quality bends in their frames, handlebars, headers.

And yet, I spend my retirement playing with m/b pipes bent on a crappy chinese hand bender.
Geez.

If only I did m/b when I was working. The non-mandrel empty-bent headers on these pipes are bent like crap. I coulda done better on lunch break!

Grab some EGR pipe demo tube, throw it in a mandrel / wiper rotary draw CNC bender, whup up a program, load a pipe.

I could totally tear down a machine, reset it in 10 minutes, whip out a set (actually 50 sets ..it was a trials runoff) of handlebars that'd make a Harley proud (BTDT Rockford Ill), or form a 180° header loop that makes the owners of Pro Circuit smile (they loved that bender till it wore out, I enjoyed hanging out in SoCal with that bunch of crazies).

Honda, Yamaha, Polaris, all have parts bent on $200,000 machines that I set up, here, there, everywhere (on Earth at least but there are some aerospace mfgrs in there too so maybe some of my pipes went orbital). There's BMX bike makers in the mix too. I travelled the world making sure cyclists had only quality bends in their frames, handlebars, headers.

And yet, I spend my retirement playing with m/b pipes bent on a crappy chinese hand bender.
Geez.
You don't need much of a bend in it, just enough to follow the curve of the expansion chamber for a few inches. Gives you the belly effect. Just get a old brake disc from a car, fill the pipe with sand and presto, belly stinger.

Like I’ve said already in other threads I’ve made 3 silencers that improve low end torque and doesn’t hurt top end. The last one is removable so I can change the stinger if I need to, the other two are welded on. All three bikes sound loud enough to be heard in traffic but not enough to bother my neighbors.

Attachments

• 036A3FC7-D6DA-481A-ACB1-C2A4BC7A0903.jpeg
    036A3FC7-D6DA-481A-ACB1-C2A4BC7A0903.jpeg
    397.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 05D8D223-0241-4175-A1E0-877DAE0E61F6.jpeg
    05D8D223-0241-4175-A1E0-877DAE0E61F6.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 20CF335C-7DC7-443B-B9EB-AF36AAA63332.jpeg
    20CF335C-7DC7-443B-B9EB-AF36AAA63332.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 104
I was doing some off-topic whining. I know nothing about making bends as a shade-tree mechanic.

Yet, somewhere, maybe Rio, maybe desert MX, or high plains Alberta, or shipping from Newnan or some plant south of Myrtle Beach, there's thousands of high-performance motocross, road bikes, ATVs, snowmobiles, bikes from kiddie BMX to twin-head Harleys running perfectly-bent headers or handlebars or frames made by a machine I installed.

I've had my hands on the highest-technology hydroforming bender making headers, and shook the hand of Yamaha's president / CEO close to midnight outside a factory in chiyru-city during a performance runoff on a 2 mil $ automated workcell.

I personally tried to sell that hydroforming system to a company in Milwaukee...

...and now I'm filling tubes with sand and brake fluid.
Waaa.

You don't need much of a bend in it, just enough to follow the curve of the expansion chamber for a few inches. Gives you the belly effect. Just get a old brake disc from a car, fill the pipe with sand and presto, belly stinger.
You don't need to bend it at all, shifting the stinger so the end is in the center of the belly reduces noise greatly the same as a side bleed pipe without effecting performance, it's the inside diameter that is the crucial figure as length has very little effect.

This was last pipe mounred to my ryobi FD.
Too big for that engine anyway.

I can work with this? Lop off curve, shove it in, call it good?

Attachments

• 20220412_120925.jpg
    20220412_120925.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 108
Back