Build Your Own LED Turn Signals!

thanks rock! ive never read a diagram before, the board i soldered was pics. im itching forr the parts to get here! cant wait!

hey rock 1 last thing before i get my stuff, if the stuff gets here before the battery, could i take my adapter out of my laptop (12v adapter) and use it to test my work? on account i just recieved this...

Type: Package
Scheduled Delivery: 03/14/2008
Shipped To: HOBART, IN, US
Shipped/Billed On: 03/11/2008
Service: GROUND
Weight: .80 Lb

should be here tommro unless the trucks run at 930 lol

Yup. Your laptop uses waaay more current than the 60-80 mA the circuit + LED would use. You should be fine (famous last words... :)). BTW, I just noticed you're from IN around Chi-town. I grew up in Kokomo, and my wife is originally from Joliet, so I'm pretty familiar with your neck of the woods. Never thought I would miss the corn fields, but after 5 yrs. in Cleveland, I sure do. Good luck with the build!

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks again. yea i like the corn fields, cause that makes for long un lived on roads where ya can go 100 in a car or weve across the road on a mtred bike lol. funfact lol Gary stroud fastest harley run on gas and nitrous (as apposed to alcohol) lives in valpo. on 130.

parts here! i HAD to get halogen..... i didnt want to pay 11 bucks per light. do ya think it will work? i already have the anti static bracelet on. and i am printing the directions as we speak.

Halogens

So, the Mosfets can handle 11 amps, max. I don't know what the power rating on your halogens are, but 10A*12V = 120 watts, so you are probably OK. I'd be sure to check the current draw before you hook them up, though. Instructions for using a multimeter to do this are in the first post, I believe (written for LEDs, but the same stuff applies here). Lemme know what you find out.

thanks. took everything out to the shed. i almost forgot, carpets and electronics dont mix (i build pc's on the side for the computer shop dont get paied though just fun) but i once fried a hard drive .... my own thank god! but anyway i took it out to the shed where its cement, and its almost 60! im out in my t-shirt and shorts. but backn on track all the light says is designed for 12 volt systems. i got it at advance auto.

i got this in red, and yellow http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=OPR&MfrPartNumber=MC91AS&CategoryCode=3151B

well (sighs) i only got as far as connecting the 4 pins, and then i forgot to put the soldering iron back on its stans, and it melted to my table. so now im out of a NICE CARD TABLE (NOT SO NICE ANYMORE) and a soldering iron! grr atleast it was a 7 dollar 1. hopfully i can get the 7 dollars from my ma. cause i spent all my money.

Sounds like one of those days.:( Is the soldering iron actually broken? I assume that it's either stuck inside the table or has a bunch of plastic all over it (or both). If it just has plastic all over it, you could always lightly sandpaper it (but not too deep, because it has a special coating), or just turn it back on and let it burn the plastic away. Hope things turn around for ya...

well, i bought a new 1. and i was looking at the old one, and i just let it burn off the plastic, while i was working with the new 1. but ive come to the conclusion that the tip is ruined, cause it isnt getting hot enough to melt solder. but the heat sheild is lol. i have a cheap 1 that looks like a pen so i dont solder 50 things at once. but i am at the step where i need to hook up the lights (11 i think) but i was getting cold so i came in, its 10 now. my 1st one loks like carp! lol but it was my 1st one. but im getting the hang of it again. im kinda rusty. i could see myself making these as kits, no problem. and this is wayyyyyyyyyyyy smaller than i assumed! i might be able to put it all in 1 tiny box! i just hope i didnt fry anythin. cause i have re-soldered stuff like 3 times in 5 min. but i guess i wont know til i try! i am super stoked! gotta order the batterys tommro. havent yet, cause ive been on a 50 mile ride all day.

Back