Can I make an exhaust gasket from a soda can?

kmarcetjr

Local time
5:48 AM
I blew out my exhaust gasket yesterday. Can I make a new one from a soda can for a temporary repair?

I blew out my exhaust gasket yesterday. Can I make a new one from a soda can for a temporary repair?
Yep, done it before, press the can material into the edges of the cylinder and bolt holes, cut out with box cutter or similar cutting object you're comfortable with. Make sure your head and cylinder are flat at the mating surfaces. May need to use 2 or 3 layers to make a tight fit. Steve Best even went as far as using a layer of paper between 2 sheets of aluminum in a head gasket for a blaster.

Yep, done it before, press the can material into the edges of the cylinder and bolt holes, cut out with box cutter or similar cutting object you're comfortable with. Make sure your head and cylinder are flat at the mating surfaces. May need to use 2 or 3 layers to make a tight fit. Steve Best even went as far as using a layer of paper between 2 sheets of aluminum in a head gasket for a blaster.

Finally got around to fixing that pesky exhaust flange gasket. I took a standard 12 ounce soda can cut the top and bottom off, folding it 3 times so it was 4 thicknesses, used a rotary tool to file everything nice and flat and smooth. I didn't bother to port match it or anything fancy. Slipped it onto the studs, put the muffler on, tightened the nuts nice and evenly. Then took it for a little test ride. Works good, probably just as good as the original, maybe even better, it's not likely to blow out.

if you're blowing out exhaust gaskets it's because your exhaust mounting flange is warped. a lot of them come from the factory that way. the quickest and easiest way to remedy this is to take it to a belt sander, and keep sanding until it's all new material.

if you're blowing out exhaust gaskets it's because your exhaust mounting flange is warped. a lot of them come from the factory that way. the quickest and easiest way to remedy this is to take it to a belt sander, and keep sanding until it's all new material.

Well It's only the first one I've blown out, I'll keep your remedy in mind if it happens again.

I had a warped exhaust mount on the motor side on my first bike, I was so confused why nonplush gaskets wouldn't work

Finally got around to fixing that pesky exhaust flange gasket. I took a standard 12 ounce soda can cut the top and bottom off, folding it 3 times so it was 4 thicknesses, used a rotary tool to file everything nice and flat and smooth. I didn't bother to port match it or anything fancy. Slipped it onto the studs, put the muffler on, tightened the nuts nice and evenly. Then took it for a little test ride. Works good, probably just as good as the original, maybe even better, it's not likely to blow out.
Try that with copper it will last forever

Back