Can I make an exhaust gasket from a soda can?

Never tried copper and didn't suggest Brass. Only said copper would last a long time. I use Quality exhaust gasket material.
You say your exhaust flange temps are around 350*F that silicone sheet should work fine.
When your done trying that silicone sheet idea let us know how it works for ya. Could be 1 week or it could be 5 years.

Hi Wrench, I actually teach this sort of stuff for industry at a local college.
I got into these bikes as a hobby after I retired from tech management job back in 2012.
These engines are a wonderful learning tool, for learning basic mechanic skills or for experimenting to increase HP.
I eventually got stock engines (and gearing) to run at traffic speeds for hundred mile trips. Love these motors!

I also built a couple Skyhawk/Minarelli/Airsal hybrids that were really more powerful than should be put in a bicycle frame.

The stock motors are a wonderful learning tool, easily capable of 30 mile trips in less than an hour, and easily capable of killing riders not bright enough to use good helmets and brakes!

When someone talks, they are spouting all they could possibly know.
When you listen carefully, it is possible to learn.

This forum was made great by guys like Furry who wrenched more than he talked.
When Furry does talk, he is well worth listening to.

Last edited:
Yea, I learned Silicone Brownie Baking Trays are for making Brownies. LOL

Edit: I just took the time to look up High temp silicone sheets for temps of 600*F
All Manufactures say not to use for an exhaust gasket.
There are other Silicone High temp sheets available for special applications of 950*F but could not find info if they can be used as an exhaust gasket.
Ya figure if it was a great Idea to use Silicone Sheets as exhaust gaskets the automotive industry would of done it by now.
The only High temp Silicone Exhaust gasket stuff I would ever consider using would be Permatex copper silicone in a tube.
Lots of people use that and say it works for them.
That's why we are all still waiting for long term reports 5,000 miles or more from Furry. Sure Furry tested for a few rides but I wouldn't call that long term. Now that we got another test subject Steve Best were waiting for your long term testing of 5,000 miles of more let us know it the Silicone sheet lasts 100 miles or 5,000 miles OK.

Last edited:
Hey Wrench, good point:
Why do all Manufactures say not to use silicone sheet for an exhaust gasket?

Exhaust systems are subject to motion forces at the sealed joint. Silicone may resist temperature, but it is not very solid and it doesn't deal with abrasion very well. The resulting movement will chafe and wear out the flange, gasket and hardware.

Permatex RTV of pretty near any type will work for a while. The Hi-Temp and Copper stuff have temp limits of 650-700F if I recall? Big problem is incompatibility with oils and fuels. They seal around metal to metal contact, so movement is not a problem.

Largest problem with exhausts was port mismatch.

I don't recall any problems with sealing. I was mostly using the stock Grubee gaskets, but enlarging them to match my ported cylinders and exhaust flanges:

For a couple years I rode 30 miles to work and back about 3 times a week, and then would take a 50-100 mile round trips in the evening to test out new ideas and get some air. Although I did not log every mile to meet somebody's goal, I was putting thousands of miles on a year. Go back and read my posts and you will see the reports. Because of the nature of some of my tests (oil types and ratio, max power, rpm and speed) I did destroy a few cylinders along the way due to lean oil mixes and detonation in the power tests. I did not ever take out a crank. I think I have 4 bottom ends and all ran without fail. I did progressively stuff one and I replaced the crank bearings just because I was in there, they were fine.

Yup, that is snow! I ran it most of the winter. I had a problem with cold lean out and with studs chafing the plastic fenders.
Wrench buddy, you have not lived! Get off the computer and get out there. RIDE man! RIDE!

Last edited:
Hey Wrench, good point:
Why do all Manufactures say not to use silicone sheet for an exhaust gasket?
I 'm pretty sure the manufactures have tested it. Email a manufacture and ask them.
Waiting for you or furry to give us some real test data. How long will it really last?
Exhaust systems are subject to motion forces at the sealed joint. Silicone may resist temperature, but it is not very solid and it doesn't deal with abrasion very well. The resulting movement will chafe and wear out the flange, gasket and hardware.
I know were talking about motorbikes, But the automotive industry has already thought about motion forces.
Most cars today have a section of flex pipe in the exhaust system to accept any vibration.
Some exhaust gasket material is made out of graphite and has a steel mesh center. Graphite is soft and seals very well it holds up to all the motion forces you are talking about. I use Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal Graphite with a steel mesh center a 1/16" x 10" x 10" sheet costs $14.99 and can make me 20 gaskets. Cutting out the gaskets is another thing. I explain how to cut out Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal exhaust Gaskets in a general discussion thread by @Txsandman "Copper coated exhaust gaskets?" I explain how to make the gaskets in post #6 Check it out. I also have a couple gaskets making threads of my own in the Whizzer Motorized Bicycle section "Gasket Making 101" and "Make Copper Head Gaskets" Ya never know ya might find something you can teach in your motorbike class.
Permatex RTV of pretty near any type will work for a while. The Hi-Temp and Copper stuff have temp limits of 650-700F if I recall? Big problem is incompatibility with oils and fuels. They seal around metal to metal contact, so movement is not a problem.
I don't use it. It turns hard after it gets hot and is a mess to clean off.
If ya read the directions it says "Not for use with Gasoline"
I did not log every mile to meet somebody's goal,
No problem keeping track of my miles I have an odometer, speedometer on my bike.
I have had my 2005 NE-5 Whizzer for 15 years now and put over 37,500 miles on her She is always ready for a 100 mile ride
View attachment 92972

Yup, that is snow! I ran it most of the winter. I had a problem with cold lean out and with studs chafing the plastic fenders.
Nice trail bike ya got there.
Studs chafing the plastic fenders? Can't see in the pic. Did you put spikes in your tires so ya could ride on the ice?

Wrench buddy, you have not lived! Get off the computer and get out there. RIDE man! RIDE!
Your Funny. I suggest you check out my thread in the Whizzer section "Whizzer Rides - Stories and Pictures"
BTW I ride M/C too.

I just made a custom homemade exhaust gasket after modifying my banana pipe and real good port clean up.
The gasket is 3 layers, tin between 2 layers of copper.

Attachments

• 20210202_045931.jpg
    20210202_045931.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 126
Hi, whatever you make gaskets out of it must be compressible, and good for at least 500 degrees of heat, use something like LYNN manufacturing high temperature gasket paper from amazon, about $10 for a sheet, most any kind of ceramic paper or graphite paper will work, mica sheets for wood stove windows can be used but it is brittle, not sure how long it will last, mike

Metal layered graphite or metal layered ceramic gasket material is the best gasket material as the fellow above said, it isn't available everywhere though, try amazon, you can use high temp gasket paper in pinch from amazon, whatever you use should be compressible so it gives a little as the engine heats and cools, mike

Metal layered graphite or metal layered ceramic gasket material is the best gasket material as the fellow above said, it isn't available everywhere though, try amazon, you can use high temp gasket paper in pinch from amazon, whatever you use should be compressible so it gives a little as the engine heats and cools, mike
There is a Toyota O2 sensor gasket that's allegedly the best exhaust gasket m known for the China girls.

Back