Carb slide won't slide smoothly

ariel

Local time
12:30 AM
I connected the pin, washer, and spring to the carburetor cap but when I go to twist the throtle the carb slide moves upwards inside the carburetor but does not slide back down. I'm using the spring that came with the kit so I'm not sure why it won't slide back down. Do I need to lubricate around the slide to allow it to move more freely? Can anyone help? Please!

If you used something like channel locks to tighten the cap so it doesn't loosen up the fact that those carbs have only half threading makes the barrel warp into an egg shape. You can correct this by removing the slide and squishing the barrel back into shape with pliers or something. To keep the cap from loosening use a bit of blue lock tite on the threads and tighten it by hand then let dry.

carb throttle issue

Did you drill hole in bars, to keep throttle in place,put grease on bars then put on twist throttle,a thin coat of grease on the white plastic,will give a smoth twist,and rebound .good luck.

The slide looks pretty round to me. I ended up using some sand paper and sanded down the slide a bit. I also used some wd40 to help it slide better. The carb slide is still a little tight. What do you think if I change the spring to one a little bit stronger so it can push down on the slide better?

Chevyoldschool, I did drill a hole on my handle bar and the twist throttle is in place correctly, I think. I opened the carburetor and while twisting the throttle was able to determine that the slide could not retract due to not enough clearance between the slide and the barrel.

umm, you do know that the carb slide has a slot in it and there is a pin inside the carb body that the slot in the slide has to line up with right?
if the slot in the slide is not lined up with that pin, the slide will not move, or it will be very hard to move.
the slide will still go into the carb if it the slot and pin are not lined up but the pin will drag on the side of the slide.
the slide and carb are a very precise fit, if you sanded on the slide, you may get air leakage past it if you made the slide too small, but i don't think that would be a big deal since the slide goes up & down to let air in anyway.
tightening the cap of the carb with pliers is not necessary. just make it hand tight...it won't come loose.
using pliers on a carb cap is the same as using an oil filter wrench to put on a new oil filter.
hand tight is all you need...it won't vibrate loose, and it makes it ALOT easier to loosen it in the future.

Last edited:
Yeah, I made sure that the pin and slot engaged each other. I'm pretty sure I installed it correctly but its just a very snug fit. Is it supposed to slide smoother once the engine is running and oil is lubricating the engine?

the slide should not need any lube. even tho some of the oil from the gas will eventually get on it once the engine is running. when you put it together dry, the slide should move up & down in the carb body easily with no lube on it. the slide should not be loose, but it shouldn't be too tight either. you should be able to move the slide up & down while it's in the carb. with your fingers without the cable or spring on it.
who knows, maybe you got a mis-machined carb, or a bad slide?
anything is possible.

What do I do if the slot inside the carb body is off center?
Does that effect the assembly from sliding smoothly?

Im having the same problem with it moving smooth.
I've check for pinched cable, throttle tightness and position, made sure the pin in the carb body fit in the slot while sliding it back in.

I just dont know what to do.

this has happened to my bike and a mates bike and an old honda engine it can go egg shaped the slide tht is or it may be sand or something in there blow it outwith a compressor or sand slide down the pin may have something to do with it but it shouldnt best bet is to mess around with it if u eff something up then ask for a new one

Thanks everyone for your comments. I sanded the carb slide a little bit and it seems to be sliding a little better now. Thanks again.

Back