Chain keeps breaking

Just replaced my stock 415 chain with a #41 chain from tsc. I heard the # 41 is stronger. I thought it looked a bit flimsier. Any thoughts?

The chain is not stronger by much, but made better. 420 motorcycle chain is over twice as strong as standard 415.
ChainGuide_zpsid9rlwjk.jpg

If you really want quality chain The KMC Kool chain in K710 tensile is 2866 lbs. If due to sprocket size you need the 3/16" width the K910 tensile is 3306 lbs. and their 415h is 3946 lbs.

As Gary pointed out there are many different types of chain in both strength and quality, the chart I posted is more of a guide to show which chains are the correct pitch for our use. For those building a 79cc chain is the most important upgrade, buy the best you can afford.

So with the wheels, I also go a freewheel cassette. I didn't pay attention and it is the wrong size for the chain used on the 7 speed cassette that it replaced. I asked the seller what size chain fits and he said a KMC 410. Is that the same 410 the engine kit uses? If so, wouldn't a 415 chain fit as well? I have about 30 feet of 415 chain laying around.

If it were me I'd try it, only 1/16 " difference in the width of the chains.

So with the wheels, I also go a freewheel cassette. I didn't pay attention and it is the wrong size for the chain used on the 7 speed cassette that it replaced. I asked the seller what size chain fits and he said a KMC 410. Is that the same 410 the engine kit uses? If so, wouldn't a 415 chain fit as well? I have about 30 feet of 415 chain laying around.

415 on a cassette? No! 7-speed chain is usually 3/32", if you use 415 on it, you'll likely start chipping teeth off the gears, ruining the cluster.

This is confusing, I thought he took the seven speed cassette wheel off and went to a mag wheel of some sort. He says the muti-speed chain doesn't fit.

I re-read the whole thread and I spose I see what OP means. Single-speed freewheels are not "freewheel cassettes", they are just freewheels.

415 will work fine on a single-speed, I've run one on mine for years. It's just a bit heavy, may notice a slight power loss.

Back