Charge a sla battery with a stator?

Yup, I have NO experience with getting power from these motors yet.
All my experience was from the KTM and sleds. Just chimed in with the little I knew from them.

Steve
What cc is the KTM, did it use headlights? I presume from what I read it had to top off a battery to be able to start the engine with an electric motors of a sort, I will not need that so I think my general energy requirements would be less, including battery capacity. I also understand a gy6 50cc also has a starter motor, I would think the electrical system would be capable of modification and get enough juice for a set of lights, without taking too much power from the net energy of a 66cc motor, being it was driven by a 50cc 4 stroke previously.

See I'm not totally familiar with all the types of electrical systems available, so looking at and learning the various options could open up a super simple solution that a bunch of people could benefit from.

If I could mount the magnet bell from a stator directly to the mag arm like a pull starter is then that would be the bees knees... It would easily spin at an appropriate rpm to generate needed power. Seems too complicated from there though

If I could mount the magnet bell from a stator directly to the mag arm like a pull starter is then that would be the bees knees... It would easily spin at an appropriate rpm to generate needed power. Seems too complicated from there though
Sorry, I can't follow what that means.

Sorry, I can't follow what that means.
The stator is the coils of wire, a magnet bell, at least what I call it, is the dome like thing with magnets in it that spins around the outside of the stator creating electrical power.

If it could be bolted or something similar on top of the normal mag so that they both spin, a stator could be mounted inside the bell, and current would be drawn from it to power lights and batteries.

Attachments

• Note071816_1.jpg
    Note071816_1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 242
What cc is the KTM, did it use headlights? I presume from what I read it had to top off a battery to be able to start the engine with an electric motors of a sort, I will not need that so I think my general energy requirements would be less, including battery capacity. I also understand a gy6 50cc also has a starter motor, I would think the electrical system would be capable of modification and get enough juice for a set of lights, without taking too much power from the net energy of a 66cc motor, being it was driven by a 50cc 4 stroke previously.

See I'm not totally familiar with all the types of electrical systems available, so looking at and learning the various options could open up a super simple solution that a bunch of people could benefit from.

That KTM is a 125. It runs a street legal 35w headlight on most of the time and full legal lighting. The SLA battery is very small and is only to give lighting if the engine stalls and some reserve for when the 40w signal lights are on or to keep the headlight on when the 20w horn blows. I'm thinking of going 8 rechargeable AA batteries. It makes almost 40hp so you do not notice the electrical load. It is kickstart only and you can actually start it with your hand. I also have a 250, 300, and 380 KTM. Addictions. You can never stop. Love the 125 most, but what if I could find a good 200???

The "Mag Bell" is the flywheel with magnets. Your idea is interesting but would really widen the engine.
A reshaped coil winding could be made, or more powerful magnets used in the flywheel, or a "Mag Bell" from another bike adapted to fit in the HT motor. Lots of possibilities, so little time (and money!).

Steve

That KTM is a 125. It runs a street legal 35w headlight on most of the time and full legal lighting. The SLA battery is very small and is only to give lighting if the engine stalls and some reserve for when the 40w signal lights are on or to keep the headlight on when the 20w horn blows. I'm thinking of going 8 rechargeable AA batteries. It makes almost 40hp so you do not notice the electrical load. It is kickstart only and you can actually start it with your hand. I also have a 250, 300, and 380 KTM. Addictions. You can never stop. Love the 125 most, but what if I could find a good 200???

The "Mag Bell" is the flywheel with magnets. Your idea is interesting but would really widen the engine.
A reshaped coil winding could be made, or more powerful magnets used in the flywheel, or a "Mag Bell" from another bike adapted to fit in the HT motor. Lots of possibilities, so little time (and money!).

Steve
That's why I was thinking about a separate set up that uses friction, if I used a skate wheel as my driver being run from my rear wheel, at 25mph I'd get the flywheel running at 2000 rpm roughly, but that's on a wheel with 26 outer diameter, mine are approaching 32 inches.

I'd like to try to avoid making the engine wider than it is, but if it were the most viable option I'd give it a shot, my gas tank came off vintage suzuki so it's twice the width of the engine anyhow, not like I'm adding insult to injury...

I need to do some research on the "average" rpms of a gy6, if I'm going to make this work I should know what my minimum flywheel speed should be at a particular ground speed. Too little and it was a waste, too much and I burn it up... Hence the direct hook up to my engine, with a jackshaft my engine speed sits in a rather confined zone, like most people, when aiming to stay in the powerband

Wait, your 125cc makes 40 hp... that is crazy

Yeah! Ain't it though!
It might only be 37, I dunno, those are manufacturer's and magazine numbers.
The KTM125 is a heck of a lot quicker than the 32hp DT200 I owned (which could still do 85mph!)
Most of the competitive 125 motocross engines from 1985 on make from 35 to 42hp.

The secret recipe to horsepower is PLAN, average cylinder Pressure, Length of stroke and Area of piston, and Number of firings per minute.
The KTM 125 does it with huge ports and 39mm carb to maximize flow (lower pressure differential), efficient pipe design conservative port timings to up the degrees of resident pressure, Length and Area are juggled to maximize cylinder window area and ring seal, and Number of firings per minute is pushed to the max (over 10,000). I like the KTM over the Honda, Yamaha, Kawi and Suzuki bikes I've owned because it aims at broad full range power as opposed to peak power in the other 2 strokes.

We can use these lessons to pick up the pace in our China Girl motors.
Hopefully there was some wiring help in what I learned from regulating and rectifying my KTM.

Steve

GY6 or Honda 50cc can repurpose lots.

I would suggest a second magnet powering the stator on that same rod. Case ain't gonna fit, it'd be sick

Back