Carby choke cable

well, i got the 19 mm washer and it was too large. It rode right over the top of the manifold tube, not resting in the place it was supposed to butting the manifold to the carb. I already had the carb off. So I proceeded to remove the sleeve and then the existing washer. Looks like it was worn somewhat but still looked serviceable. So (though I would have preferred new washer), I loaded the washer on both sides with the heat resistant sealant and put it back in place. Then I put a washer at the bolt that tightens the carb around the manifold to try and get it tighter. Almost stripped out the head of the phillips head on this bolt trying to get it tight. no avail. it was still loose. So I took it back off, removed the sleeve and put a little cardbord strip around the sleeve and like to never got it back in the carb throat. When I tightened it down as tight as I could get it, I very gingerly turned or started to turn the carb and it's still loose. Come to think of it, it has never been super tight. Did not try to ride today. will let the sealant dry. Also applied heavy thourough coat on the exterior of carb where the washer is almost visible from the top of carb. I hate i can't get it tighter. Think it will ride ok if the old washer will serve along with the sealant. Will test it tomorrow.

UPDATE: My carb is lots tighter, though I think I still might could pull it off if I tried. Think the sealant helped a lot with that. Also, got better idle than I had before, but I worked with the idle on the carb to get it. I did get a water sprayer and sprayed at both ends of the manifold and at top of carb with no difference in idle. No stall, nor even threat. I took it on the road and the ride is the same. When I hit around 20 mph the throttle is of no more use to me. When I engage the choke (alloy shift) the bike picks up again and I can go 30-35 mph with no problems.
One of you suggested setting the jet (sorry, i'm on page 2 and don't want to lose what I've started to find name). I did this earlier (last year) before I replaced the throttle with no marked difference. Should I go back and reset the jet or does the problem sound like it might be resolved with such action? I do have just a little bit (not enough to get excited about) of smoke out of exhaust when it idles. Will resetting the mixture screw on carb help? With the water test behind me, I really am begining to think it's something other than air leak. What harm might I do to ride it as it is? I travelled 14 miles round trip couple weeks ago in this fashion with no negative results... yet.

I would guess that you helped it by sealing the connection. Obviously so if it idles better. Now what about htis carb you have? What kind is it? Does it really have a mixture screw? Obviously it is not a stock Chinese motor carb if it has a choke cable. How did you adjust the jet before?

It came with the engine. It is featured on this webpage: http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/Choke-Cable-Assembly.html

full carb picture, very similar, if not same carb: http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/scar...9&action=showlargerimage&pid=3265&imgsize=big

yes, i have a mixture screw and an idle screw. I adjusted idle this time by stopping bike, disengaging clutch with throttle engaged just enough to keep it running. Then I raced the engine and held it steady while adjusting the idle screw. If engine went louder, I let off on throttle to see what I had without it's help. Eventually I got pretty good idle speed. Messed with mix screw just a little, but didn't want to mess up what I had.

I adjusted the jet before by taking off the top of carb where the cables enter. Then took off the little C clamp washer and moved it up or down (don't remember) to the next available setting and put carb back together. found helpful utube video to guide me thru this. I read or heard somewhere that this might help with the changed altitude or elevation here in TN over what I had in FL.

engine is 66 cc Skyhawk, if that is any help.

Wouldn't the fact that I have to feed the engine via the choke to relieve the sluggish throttle indicate a lean mixture setting somewhere? Maybe I should adjust the C clip on the slider needle toward a richer mixture? Just a stab in dark from rank amateur at this. Tried again today to adjust screw on carb and lost my idle again. I can fix that but still have to deal with the rearing back of throttle.

Last edited:
Back