Clutch issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take it with a 50/50 or 70/30,,, at least it gives us a chance to keep our rides rolling...

Cheers from Don

Watch "How To Troubleshoot and Repair 2 Stroke Motorized Clutch 66/80cc" on YouTube

Aghh no I hate YouTube mechanics videos!
(although I have not viewed that one and credited it with more views so it'll seem more popular and therefore authoritative!) and think it has mainly unskilled and not knowledgeable people who give only their view on things and give what I believe to be incorrect advice.
For instance, imho there is FAR too much grease in those gears shown in the video's thumbnail. There only needs to be one match head of red grease in the gears.
Check it and clean it and relube it after riding it, just like the way you do your bicycle chain..
Just like you shower your own body and check theres no blood leaking out of your moles every day, not just wait a few months and then spend a day soaking yourself in a barrel of Naptha to dissolve off your hardened stink. Chains, gears etc, treat them the same way.
I think often people get used to not doing just a couple of minutes maintenance checks every day after any driving of an automotive vehicles and they think that is okay for bicycles too.

(*I actually don't look after my emo-ped because it has only the hub motor and the front hub for moving parts and it doesn't need to last me for decades.)

The only thing I can think of next is to buy new clutch disks..... Get the the black & white ones

So the clutch discs I have are the black and white ones. I ended up ordering new ones as well.

I did go too tight on the preload spring just to see if it would grab. It won't. I filed down the pads so they were loose enough to just place in the holes. That made it 10x worse.

I think the worst part is I was reaching out to Heliobikes.com (who I bought it from) and their customer service is basically non existent. I called and nobody would call back. I sent an email. Got one email back from the supposed owner, replied to him and then got nothing back.

OK here's the deal with slipping clutches. If you've adjusted your flower nut but it still slips, or starts slipping again and the flower nut just won't do it, then you have to adjust the internal preload spring of the clutch. You do this by removing the clutch cable from the cable guide, and unscrew the tall threaded rod with the cable guide on it from the crankcase. This will leave you with a small hole that you can look into. You should be able to see the preload spring adjustment collar, which has large gear like gaps around it. Stick a flathead screw driver or something into this hole and jam it into one of the gaps on the collar. Roll you bike backwards with the screw driver in there and it will tighten the internal preload spring. This will also give you more resistance when pulling the clutch. After you tighten it, re install the cable guide, re adjust your flower nut a little to compensate for the change (if you tightened it hella trying to stop the slipping to no avail you will probably have to adjust it back out a little), and it should solve your slipping clutch issue. If flower nut doesn't solve the slipping, you have to adjust the internal spring preload collar.

^^^ 👍

Oh yha

This forum rocks...

And the sharing of ideas that can keep us motoring for years... months

Thanks JWR,,, thats friggin awesomeness on how to step up the game plan on wizer clutch tuning...

I cant wait to do my first service/ cleaning/ inspection/ service...

Don
There! I fixed your post.

The OP said he had tightened the preload nut on the main spring.
I think this means the pad material is unsuitable, or has soaked up some kind of oily contaminant.

the more you have to replace the more money those corporations make. I'm pretty it is in their best interest financially to ensure their products need replacing at somepoint. Sell the customer something that he will never need to replace, and you lose their business after that one sale. But sell them something that needs to be serviced, replaced, etc, and you suddenly have created quite alot of business for your corporation

Bull.
They buy more of them for their sons, daughters, wife, friends, and family and buy a second and a third for themselves to have various colours and styles they can show off on Insta. 🚀🤟😎🤳

I still say that's way too much grease.
Little and often.

And I regret even seeing the video above that. Yesh sure engine shaped objects can be abused and still be engine shaped. Its anti everything I personally like about building my own engine from the "bicycle engine kit" - what I thought most of this forum was about.

Right, it's gone 04:35am and daylight so I'm off OUT 🦋 on my emoped 🦋 that requires absolutely no maintenance except for airing up the tyres when the seasons change. Dont worry mr YouTuber it can be done at the gas station, no effort required! 🙄 🦋

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back