Centrifugal clutch toasted in a day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakeguy24

Local time
8:50 AM
Hey guys. I installed this kit on my bike today. I went on 2 bike rides (1-2 miles a piece) and about halfway through the second ride, i heard a noise, and my clutch started acting more disengaged then usual.. (not sure if thats the proper terminology for centrifugal clutches, it was grabbing on to the engine more) I took it home, took it apart, and saw 1 of the 3 springs broke, and all 3 pads were toast. nothing left whatsoever. Was just wondering what i may have done wrong, or what may have caused this.. It was brand new when i put it together this morning.

The kit is the 49cc 4 stroke with centrifugal clutch kit. I cant seem to post a working link at the moment...
Thanks in advance!

Sometimes the pads are just complete crap from the start on build quality. I helped replace a centrifugal clutch on a minibike recently, the entire thing imploded on itself and turned into what looked like dust and pebbles. Sometimes it's just too much weight being pulled and with the cheap quality the pads scrape and turn to abrasive dust.

With you it was probably a chain reaction, the spring snapped and let one arm loose so even at an idle the pad would be scraping and breaking down from excessive heat and rubbing. Then the dust and grit ate away at the other pad(s) really quick.

The whole idea is that the pads are supposed to grip into the cup and start pulling with minimal slip and operate that way.

I would suggest looking into a slightly better quality clutch. If it was a quality clutch then get to the get in touch with the seller and ask to get it replaced.

Bottom line it's probably not your fault, just bad luck.

The kit is the 49cc 4 stroke with centrifugal clutch kit. I cant seem to post a working link at the moment...
Thanks in advance!
There are several gearboxes that come with the 49cc 4 stroke. Some are garbage.
Where did you buy it from?
The single chain pocket bike gearbox is junk.
Should have bought one of the belt drive kits for more money.
The 4G from www.Bicycle-Engines.com is the best of those.

I'm going to assume you have the hoot gearbox and live in a hilly area or drive at low speeds alot. Those have way too low of a gear ratio (3:1) and the clutch slips nonstop below 19 mph (on 26" rims). Your best bet to prolong your next clutch is to get a way bigger rear tire sprocket or try to always drive 20mph+...I would advise 56t or bigger and the hd clutch from staton inc. Btw that transfer case won't last long, better to just shell out the cash for a grubee 4g belt drive (5:1 gear ratio). Also, what happened in your case was the clutch was allowed to slip too much, overheated and burned the pads, which overheated the springs, making them more brittle, causing one to snap. I had the exact thing happen on my first 4 stroke.

Last edited:
I'm going to assume you have the hoot gearbox and live in a hilly area or drive at low speeds alot.
I don't think it matters how a Hoot is used, it's just cheap junk that will fail, apparently even quicker than even I thought, it didn't last a DAY!

His transfer case hasn't failed...yet :p thats gonna happen shortly after he burns out his third clutch. On a serious note don't bother with the cheaper chain drive transfer cases with no way to adjust the tension. They are ticking timebombs that will one day leave you stranded. Not to mention you are gonna need a huge rear sprocket to see a decent gear reduction capable of climbing any hills. In the long run it'll be cheaper to just get a 4g tc.

Hey guys. I installed this kit on my bike today. I went on 2 bike rides (1-2 miles a piece) and about halfway through the second ride, i heard a noise, and my clutch started acting more disengaged then usual.. (not sure if thats the proper terminology for centrifugal clutches, it was grabbing on to the engine more) I took it home, took it apart, and saw 1 of the 3 springs broke, and all 3 pads were toast. nothing left whatsoever. Was just wondering what i may have done wrong, or what may have caused this.. It was brand new when i put it together this morning.

Thanks in advance!
Cable might have stretched

Now don't be like that, after 25 years the throttle cable has a little slack in it on my truck, this stuff happens!
There is no cable even used with cent clutch so it wouldn't matter if it stretched or not hehehe ;-}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back