Colorado 47 Model H

Dirt, I'd like to see a pic of that washer when you get it. Don't be confused by what Quenton is saying here. The only problem you had was you didn't have the correct spacing inside that hub. When you have thicker spokes like .105 or .120 you have to have more clearance for that pork chop!!! I'm guessing that the wheel originally had either thinner spokes or more spacing. Don't freak yourself out here, it wouldn't make any difference whatsoever which way you spoked that wheel!!!

whew! i figured the step is for clearance. Once i get it, i'll report back. Until then, i have some paint to repair :(

here is the chop i found. and the accompanying hardware
Photo Mar 19, 12 07 17 PM-3.jpg
Photo Mar 19, 12 05 08 PM.jpg

and here's a diagram and pic from The CABE forum
Forebrake and Cable 030s.jpg
Drum Brake.jpg

Vintage 26" wheels use 10 5/8" spokes, and 24" wheels use 9 5/8" spokes.
Newer style wheels use the 10 1/4' on the 26" and 9 1/4" on the 24" wheels.

The difference is in the lace pattern.

The spokes are either cross 3 or cross 4, and the only time it becomes an issue is on the rear wheel. The belt sheaves are different from the vintage and current editions. The vintage sheave fits the pattern using the longer spokes, and the current version fits the wheels with the shorter spokes.

Have fun,

Took the Lady Liberty to the local Cars & Coffee in Lafayette on Saturday. Tons of questions answered and lots of smiles be had. I tried to leave around 10, but didn't pull out of the driveway until 11 even though i was loaded up on the truck.

IMG_2002.jpg

Paul, I bet it was really cool to take your bike out and see how people enjoy it so! Kind of sad that you don't see that much appreciation for all your hard work on this site! It's easy to see how proud you are of this bike as you should be! Great Job!
Chris

Thanks Chris

It was totally rewarding! This show has a lot of exotic super cars, customs, hot rods and vintage vehicles. The attitude is bring what you have. As oddball as the Whizzer is, it fit right in, especially next to the BSA and Vespa.

I got a lot of help on this forum, it was the bicycle forums where I had considerable criticism from purists. I don't let that get in my way. I select the helpful stuff and discard the ill comments.

I have a few local shows this summer, one at our local air museum. This vintage fits right in with old planes and cars. I'll keep y'all posted.

I've waited a long time to post this. Dad finally made his way to Colorado to see the bike in it's finished state. This is what he wrote about the experience:

Here I am on my 1947 Whizzer engine powered Schwinn bike. My 83 old balance and reaction time was not up to a full ride. Paul Kraus did the restoration for an undisclosed sum. Purchased new in 1947 from Hays City Auto Tops, owner Swede Gilberg, later by son the late Bruce Gilberg. Price for engine was $110 and bike was $75. It laid around our sheds after I enlisted in the Navy in 1951.

IMG_2404.jpg

Thanks to all of you for your unending support and advice through this project. You helped me complete my mission. It took a long time - i added 2 mouths to feed to my family, changed jobs twice and all other distractions in life peppered in between. I'm truly grateful.

paul

Paul, that's really cool to see your Dad back on his old bike again! What a special moment that must have been for you and him! He must have been really proud of you for doing this for him and I bet you were proud when you presented it to him. Now the only question I want to know is what are you going to ride now that Dad's got his bike back?

One more, just to show how far this bike came along. Before and after. I'll let you decide which is which ;)

before-after.jpg

Back