Could I Pull A Trailer With Four People On It With A Motorized Bicycle?

• Thread starter 4 Person Trailer On Bike?
  • Start date
Regular family transportation
DSCF1129.JPG
DSCF1132.JPG

I don't see why not, my 66cc shifter can tow a trailer.

KCbikeBoat640.jpg

My flaw there was not having 12V on the bike for the electric trailer brakes.
The surge brake worked well enough going downhill, but it was tricky launching the boat.

It is warming up nice, anyone want to go skiing?
We can ride together ;-}

KC2bikesBoatClose.jpg

Seriously though, if you made a light AL trailer with a good surge brake, something like a ~50cc 4-stroke with gears and good brakes like this might pull it off.

2_Copper10GDoneLeft-1280.jpg

You would need a damn sturdy hitch on the bike frame but otherwise geared low enough it would pull the weight, and have enough brake to stop you too.

The better solution of course is to motorize a Surrey Tram.

surrytram.jpg

Or one like I had here for awhile...

SurryFL.jpg

SurryRL.jpg

I was going to do it electric.
That guy was a complete Arab flake though, he had no money.
I guess he thought I'd jump at the chance to throw hundreds of man hours and a couple thousand dollars in parts for free for promotion!

Ignorant Arab.
No money, no buildey pal ;-}
I know this is an old post but I was curious on what the contraption that you made or I can meet any what it look like I actually am 200 lb and I want to talk to cats safely in a trailer but I have a heart condition so I'm thinking about making my bike gas or should I make it electric and you can drop shins if you have pictures that would be awesome I don't know how to log back onto here but my number is 949 205-3351 you have pictures to be awesome if you have time if you don't I truly understand thank

I know this is an old post but I was curious on what the contraption that you made or I can meet any what it look like I actually am 200 lb and I want to talk to cats safely in a trailer but I have a heart condition so I'm thinking about making my bike gas or should I make it electric and you can drop shins if you have pictures that would be awesome I don't know how to log back onto here but my number is 949 205-3351 you have pictures to be awesome if you have time if you don't I truly understand thank
Sorry Twisted Sister, KC has passed

I too have a heart condition and lower back problems; I also live in a mountainous region. My bike uses a triple chainring shift kit. I also have pulled up to 200 lbs in my trailer up 30% grade hills.

20210704_204623.jpg
20210704_205050.jpg
20210704_205255.jpg
20210519_154830.jpg

Hello everyone!
This is my first time ever actually asking for assistance from others online, because usually, I can do things on my own. But this time around, it was a little different. I had to do something I wasn't familiar with at all.

What I plan on doing (yes, I do know how crazy this sounds,) is taking my Schwinn Genesis Bicycle, getting one of those motrized Bicycle kits (that can be seen everywhere on eBay), and creating a trailer with about four seats on it.

The trailer would be very sturdy (obviously), and I intend to make it out of wood with a steel frame (to reinforce the wood). There would be two seats on it, of course. After doing that math, I have made a few estimates. I believe that the trailer would weigh 250 lbs, and would have the weight capacity of 540 lbs at best, 450 lbs at worst.

My bike does have an attachment so that it can carry bike trailers.

The total weight of the passengers I will be carrying is about 470 lbs, in total, making everything I need to carry about 720 lbs.

I need you guys to tell me how I could accomplish this (ex, what kind of motor I will need, better ways for me to design the trailer, etc.)

Please refrain from leaving any replies or comments telling me about how I am crazy and should be put in a padded room for even thinking this could work.
You can pull a train with one of these with the right gearing. Not very fast, but it can be done. If Jack can move a train, these motors can. Its all in the gearing. Most i ever pulled an at 35mph with a jack shaft kit, was around 300lbs. Almost 500 if you include me on the bike. Almost 600lbs if you include the bike and trailer. Took a little to get to speed, but she did it quite well. Just gotta gear these right. Theres a guy from down under, forgot his name, but he jas you tube vids etc, hes the guy to talk to about hauling.

I don't know what happened to Fabian, but he used to tow 7 trailers. (Not with people though, just garden mulch!)
full

More photos here: https://motoredbikes.com/members/fabian.9100/#xfmgMedia
Australian government restrictions I think finally got to him. I remember when the restrictions started really getting enforced there. Idiots with total disregard to traffic laws and the videos of their irresponsible riding brought about stricter laws and enforcement in Australia.

That's why I come down so hard on those irresponsible ones doing it here.

Australian government restrictions I think finally got to him. I remember when the restrictions started really getting enforced there. Idiots with total disregard to traffic laws and the videos of their irresponsible riding brought about stricter laws and enforcement in Australia.

His towing of 7 trailers doesn't exactly say "im following traffic rules and im a very responsible rider" to me...lol...If the Australian government restrictions hit him too, then go figure...lol.

You just keep on dropping that hammer on these totally irresponsible idiots that make all of the rest of us look bad...im all for it...lol...DAMIEN

Last edited:
One family on a small motorcycle or a motorized bicycle towing a trailer with four people in there, what about the clutch? How can that clutch handle all that weight it was not designed for?

Has nothing to do with "irresponsible riding" and everything to do with oppression from a tyrannical government. What about the thousands of car and motorcycle drivers who got DUIs over the 4th of July weekend. Somehow cars and motorcycles and drinking are all still legal. Motorized bicycles are too cheap and efficient and hard to tax. But idiot democrats would still rather ride a diesel hybrid bus that takes multiple mines and cross oceanic trips with big ships to produce that is still less efficient than a motorized bicycle.

Back