Death of a bike store

Wolfie65

Local time
2:44 PM
What used to be my go-to bike shop is gone.
The owner did have a variety of personal issues, including a rather self-destructive lifestyle and some shady employees, they got robbed - which sounded like an inside job to me - about 2 years ago, had to move into a much smaller space, were intermittently closed (see: personal issues, above) and are now finally gone for good.
The next door business have bought the space pending expansion.
It was kinda fun to hang out there sometimes and shoot the breeze with the guys, talking about not just bikes, and they did have a fairly good stash of little parts and odds & ends for older bikes, something many other bike shops do not.
Tried another store today, one often voted 'Best in town', and although they kept assuring me that they do carry parts for older bicycles, they did not have any of the axle bearings or cotter pins I was looking for.
On the plus side, they gave me a free axle, nice and long enough for pegs......

What used to be my go-to bike shop is gone.
The owner did have a variety of personal issues, including a rather self-destructive lifestyle and some shady employees, they got robbed - which sounded like an inside job to me - about 2 years ago, had to move into a much smaller space, were intermittently closed (see: personal issues, above) and are now finally gone for good.
The next door business have bought the space pending expansion.
It was kinda fun to hang out there sometimes and shoot the breeze with the guys, talking about not just bikes, and they did have a fairly good stash of little parts and odds & ends for older bikes, something many other bike shops do not.
Tried another store today, one often voted 'Best in town', and although they kept assuring me that they do carry parts for older bicycles, they did not have any of the axle bearings or cotter pins I was looking for.
On the plus side, they gave me a free axle, nice and long enough for pegs......
If it's an axle for a freewheel hub make sure it's a cro-molly axle

I actually ran into the owner last week and he said he still has all the stuff, but it was thrown into boxes quickly and is a major mess.
Wouldn't mind getting some parts before he disappears, but I can't leave a message since his voice mail box isn't set up.

I got my order today. He must be dumping everything asap. I got double, triple, or more on some items than I ordered.

Back