DIY Homemade DC Welder

i found 2 articles.

one is using a lwn mower to drive an automotive alternator for a 50 amp DC welding ability.

the other is the one i was thinking of, that outlines the use of an auto altrenator to achieve2,200 watts / 20 amps to run electric equipment.

if either of these is of interest i'll try to scan and post them as thumbnails.

steve

Ha, all that hunting thru hard copy and i just found the mower/ welder article online,

google " DC welder / mother earth news" it'll be the top return.

the other article can be found the same way.

Google " make your own emergency power plant / mother earth news "

the mower / welder could be improved by using a larger 5-6HP engine and a GM alternator from a school bus from the 80's ( the ones that had adjustable output )

happy crafting,

steve

i found 2 articles.

one is using a lwn mower to drive an automotive alternator for a 50 amp DC welding ability.

the other is the one i was thinking of, that outlines the use of an auto altrenator to achieve2,200 watts / 20 amps to run electric equipment.

if either of these is of interest i'll try to scan and post them as thumbnails.

steve

Thanks Steve. I found mine on my old (retired) computer. Saves me trying to put it on here to post it. I knew I read that article there.

Denny

2 batteries, and a charger with the cables you couldv'e bought a real welder, cheap but much more safe than taking the chance of melting your face off. yeah yeah move the batteries away won't solve a thing, if they blow up your out of 2 batteries, and possibly destroying your charger as well. IMO Not a smart plan at all. But in a macgyver kind of way, good job lol

Eye Damage

Do take care of your eyes. It is easy to burn them. I recall that one of dad's sheet metal workers burned his eyes from the reflection of an arc welder. He had a full sheet of galvanized metal standing against the wall behind his bench. He was off work for a week. Lucky there was no lasting damage.

Jim

You must use proper protection when welding. Just as looking at the sun with multiple sunglasses on is dangerous, so is welding. Both of these situations expose you to invisible radiation. We only 'see' about 20% of the light from the sun or from welding. The stuff one can't see is actually the more dangerous type ( think ultraviolet) It doesn't take much to put your eyes at risk! Don't take a risk with your vision. Get an inexpensive welding mask (from Harbor freight) for a few bucks. Overall a very good idea..

2 batteries, and a charger with the cables you couldv'e bought a real welder, cheap but much more safe than taking the chance of melting your face off. yeah yeah move the batteries away won't solve a thing, if they blow up your out of 2 batteries, and possibly destroying your charger as well. IMO Not a smart plan at all. But in a macgyver kind of way, good job lol

Already owning 2 car batteries is WAY cheaper than buying a welder. Batteries also are good for other uses as well, like jumpstarting a car, and emergency power, and more. I have four of them. :D

The charger won't get hurt, as it's an old broken charger I got for free, and I repaired. It has an internal 12A self-resetting circuit breaker, as most chargers do, and I've tripped it a few times with no issues. I also can weld without the charger I come to find, so it's mainly there just to charge the batteries after I'm done.

Like previously mentioned, I have NO FEAR of exploding batteries. NO FEAR. Electricity is my friend for life, and I respect it.

All due respect, why do you say it's not a smart plan, even though others say it's a great idea? Finding a way to make a necessity with ZERO cost is smarter than spending $150 on a welder when you have no job or money. It also puts the power in my hands, by not needing someone else to do it for me.

I find people in life always tell you what you can't do before they say what you CAN do...... I know you don't mean anything bad by it, as most people fear electricity and chemicals, until they fully understand them. It's cool, and I'm 100% willing to take the risks involved.

But thanks for the McGuyver compliment, LOL. I tend to do stuff like that a lot, just look at my bike trailer born from a Handtruck. :devilish:

You must use proper protection when welding. Just as looking at the sun with multiple sunglasses on is dangerous, so is welding. Both of these situations expose you to invisible radiation. We only 'see' about 20% of the light from the sun or from welding. The stuff one can't see is actually the more dangerous type ( think ultraviolet) It doesn't take much to put your eyes at risk! Don't take a risk with your vision. Get an inexpensive welding mask (from Harbor freight) for a few bucks. Overall a very good idea..

Thanks for the very valuable info. I'm going to get a mask ASAP so more welding can be done. It would make things easier for sure.

Back