Do people really use this wacky type of throttle?

Gasenginesarecool

Local time
2:14 AM
Hi forum! I just bought this used motorized bicycle last week and I f--king love it! I just rode it across town to the bike shop to go get some new pedals and bolts. I have a few questions because this is my first motorized bicycle, although I do have experience with motorcycles and dirt bikes. I took some pictures to go along with my questions.

1) My first question is: what type of wacky throttle is this? I can use it just fine like it is, it's very well built and sturdy (has Yamaha written on it), but it's at an odd angle for pressing while riding. Specifically while braking it's pretty awkward since you have to let go of the throttle and move your hand over to the brake, and the your fingers have to reach all the way around it to squeeze the brake lever. So do people really use these things in motorized bicycles a lot or did the previous owner of this bike install it just because he had this type of throttle laying around his mad-scientist workshop? In a perfect world I would prefer a twist throttle like on a motorcycle.

2) Also, the bolts (and nuts) holding the gas tank in place are pretty wimpy. Do you guys have a tip or two on how to keep the bolts from wearing out or snapping off from normal vibration over time?

3) The petcock looks great, doesn't leak, moves freely. It has a "res" setting, but is there really a reserve in this tiny gas tank???

Attachments

• 20191027_162723.jpg
    20191027_162723.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 307
  • 20191027_162814.jpg
    20191027_162814.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 257
  • 20191027_194125.jpg
    20191027_194125.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 254
  • 20191027_194146.jpg
    20191027_194146.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 324
The kits come with a twist grip throttle, like a motorcycle. Probably pick one up on eBay cheap. I recommend getting a dual pull brake lever. Those bolts on the tank are notorious for being troublesome, I use an old innertube cut to fit to mount between the bar and tank, then snug it up. It just needs to be tight enough to not flip over, the rubber will hold it. The tank doesn't have much reserve, not enough to matter.

That's a thumb throttle, prolly from an ATV. Never seen anyone mount it the way you have it done. Whatever works, I guess.

I second the innertube between tank and frame. You def don't want to overtighten the nuts on tank studs, the studs can snap or tear the sheetmetal on the tank itself.

Yeah looks like a thumb throttle but it's usually mounted to the left of the hand grip, to the right of the brake lever, and rotated 90 degrees towards you on the bars so you can hold onto the grip and just use your thumb in a more natural position. The reserve is just opening the pet cock at where it threads in allowing you to use the entire tank. The on positioning will draw through a tube on top of that pet cock that goes up into the tank. How much reserve you have depends on how long that tube is. Its possible it may have been modified for this install and both positions may drain the entire tank, you'll have to check. I would put a twist throttle on everything, snowmobiles, rc controllers everything... but im crazy.

The kits come with a twist grip throttle, like a motorcycle. Probably pick one up on eBay cheap. I recommend getting a dual pull brake lever. Those bolts on the tank are notorious for being troublesome, I use an old innertube cut to fit to mount between the bar and tank, then snug it up. It just needs to be tight enough to not flip over, the rubber will hold it. The tank doesn't have much reserve, not enough to matter.
what is a reserve anyway??????????? when i saw RES on my petcock, i thought it means reset, lol

Just a little fuel so when your out messing around and run out of gas in on position you still have a little gas to make it home or to the next gas station. Really nice on vehicles without gas gauge.

The reserve is if you tip your bike to the right the post creates very small pool on the left side.
Tip for the tank they should not break use locking nut green thread lock but before you do take an old inner tube cut it to length lay it over the frame prevent abrasion of the thin tank metal I had to Chuck a tank cause it wore through the metal.
And yes your right that is a freaky throttle I'd order a typical one and Chuck it too.
But what's really freaky most throttles are on the right it's okay until you go into a spin your instincts is to hold on throttle that turns giving it full throttle making the wreck more violent as hell.
If the throttle is on the left you would be pushing it so if you fell you you would be killing the throttle rather fueling at max!

The reserve is if you tip your bike to the right the post creates very small pool on the left side.
Tip for the tank they should not break use locking nut green thread lock but before you do take an old inner tube cut it to length lay it over the frame prevent abrasion of the thin tank metal I had to Chuck a tank cause it wore through the metal.
And yes your right that is a freaky throttle I'd order a typical one and Chuck it too.
But what's really freaky most throttles are on the right it's okay until you go into a spin your instincts is to hold on throttle that turns giving it full throttle making the wreck more violent as hell.
If the throttle is on the left you would be pushing it so if you fell you you would be killing the throttle rather fueling at max!

I see what you mean. Yep, I agree I'm going to ditch the silly lever-actuated throttle and get a killer twist throttle like a motorcycle. That'll be more fun anyways. I did like you said, I cut a super-thick old innertube and made pads for the tank to sit on on top of the frame. Holds like iron now. I put blue loctite on the threads too, so that should be the end of gas tank jankiness for a while. I love my little petcock with it's reserve setting. I hope it saves my ass one day, as it has on countless motorcycle adventures. That phenomenon you mentioned about accidentally nailing the throttle in a crash, you're right that is a concern, but what the heck, I don't even wear a helmet when I ride this thing yet, lol. If that happens I'm just going to try and rely on the spring returning the throttle closed when I let go of the handlebars, and call it good ;)

...And I'm going to go back to playing with my tickle button for a while too, so see ya....

Thanks everyone! This is a great forum, and so easy to navigate and make posts. Very modern and intelligent interface. Living in 2019 is awesome.

Where do you put your hand at on the end of that bar? How do you use the brake? Where's the rubber grip at for hand fatigue?

Where do you put your hand at on the end of that bar? How do you use the brake? Where's the rubber grip at for hand fatigue?

Yeah one does what I call "the claw" technique, where you kind of grip the huge lever housing with your first and middle fingers like a baseball or something, and hold down the actual lever with your palm. Terrible place to put any pressure on too, right there at the base of your palm, right where your literal carpal tunnel is....

I'm going to move it to the stem side of the handlebar for a more traditional approach while I look for a decent twist throttle. I see some really sweet aluminum ones on Amazon too actually, for amazingly low prices like $30.

Back