Do your research thoroughly

Chookawatts

Local time
8:04 PM
I have spent about the last six weeks research motorized bikes before attempt to build one, and then decided I would build an 66cc bike with a jackshaft kit, expansion chamber exhaust, dellorto 16.16 carby, etc. and its starting to look like a really nice build so far. I've repainted the frame, engine, jackshaft kit, made my own custom chain gaurds etc. bought some nice billet side covers etc. for the engine and I'm now just waiting for the paint on the frame to dry so I can assemble it all and go for my first ride. Well here's the bad news, when painting the engine I took the inlet manifold off and a few other bits so I wouldn't get paint on them, and the inlet manifold looked a bit small to me so I found one on ebay that had better port sizing, still hadn't realized whats going, on I purchase the manifold now iI've just watched a youtube video which explains the different carbs on different engines and suddenly it hit me, I've been ripped off! I've paid for a 66cc kit which was called an 80cc kit, but its not even a 66cc kit, its a 49cc kit, which will probably just flood with that dellorto carby, I've spent a fair bit of money on this project and now I'll have to buy another engine!

Research is double edged sword. The more research I do, the more stuff I buy.

I have no experience at all with 2-stroke motorized bicycle engines. I became interested in this hobby when 4-strokes became available. My bike has a Huasheng 142F 49cc 4-stroke, and the bulletproof EZM Q-Matic "gearbox." This powertrain has been completely reliable, easy to maintain and work on, relatively quiet, and non-smoky. One or two pulls and it starts. Plenty of bottom and top end for my needs. Twist the throttle and go with no pedaling. No concerns about overheating on long rides.

I'm not speaking out against two-strokes, but I'd like to understand why a new MBer would choose a 2-stroke over a 4-stroke. And I think that the practice of calling a 66cc engine an 80cc engine is very intriguing! Rounding up from 66cc to 70cc would be understandable, if not a bit deceptive. But 66cc to 80cc?! The only other example of this kind of silliness that I've seen has been in the firearms world: When the popular .38 caliber pistol made its debut, few people knew that the true caliber was .357. A modest "rounding up" would have been ".36." But .38 is kind of outrageous. Then, interestingly, when revolvers of the ".38" caliber class were manufactured to accept a longer, more powerful "magnum" load, the ammunition was accurately called ".357 magnum."

Oh well; just some thoughts on a hot Saturday afternoon in Connecticut...

Two strokes are very simple and that appeals to guys that do not have a lot of mechanical experience.

If you could put something to stop the carb slide from going all the way up then you could still use it on your 48cc. But I still think you would be happier with a 66cc. They have much more power.

Not always, if you saw my bike so far you would notice I have very hi mechanical skills. Every single piece of these kits need to be modified, and they don,t come with any usable brackets at all, just put it all in the rubbish bin and make your own. I chose a 2 stroke because they generally rev harder, and mainly because I couldn't afford a 4 stroke kit at the moment. but I will possibly get a 4 stroke engine soon, after I make the other chain guard and petrol tank for this one.

Back