Drill Starting your HT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done it also, but the crack in the back deck ate the nut when it came off. Does anyone have the thread size so a replacement can be had?
The nut on the magneto? It's 8mm with fine thread, I see that size in three part cranks on the end that bolts the crank arm down to the center rotating post. It's also what seems to be on every rollerskate axle and 8mm skateboard axle.

Grubee sells a HT motor with a nut[?] protruding from the crankcase that's designed to start the motor that way with any drill.
They do, and they sell a one way bearing kind of attachment that goes in your impact driver, the other end fits in the hex head of the bolt. Counter clockwise spin, have no clue if the bolt is left hand threads or simply very strong threadlock.

It looks like what that guy posted earlier only they use the bevel gear bolt rather than the magneto nut. I have that bearing I'm modding to go in the pull start, if I wanted I could break it down further and put a sprocket in it, then put a chain to it, and put a permanent electric motor somewhere that drives a sprocket linked to the chain. Nice part is the engine doesn't engage the sprocket.

Would be nice to have this jackshaft and be able to use rolling forward to turn the motor over. It's the only disadvantage of the jackshaft, no bump starts...

The problem that I had using a drill to start my bike was that the bolt came off because the drill could not keep up with the crankshaft spin, NOT because of any reversal of rotation. The ratchet freewheels normally, but not fast enough to prevent the bolt from loosening.

Read all the posts.
Not only is the nut coming off a problem, but so is stripping the crank threads.
Not the best way to start a motor.
Now if you could bolt a crank pawl on the mag side...
$_1.JPG

6981569.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back