ebike time?

@BBassett //// I agree 100% that your bike runs on physics. That's my favorite subject :)

Power is Work / Time. Works is Fx D. Power is F x D / Time, Power is Velocity x Force.
From a kinematics standpoint, KE is conserved, so power is proportional to velocity ^3. As since the Work is done in 1/Time, energy is conserved.
Therefore, your 1.76kw, can sustain x mph based on your conditions. Do double your speed, you would need to produce 8x the HP, and it would require a net energy usage of 4x on the battery.... You could also plot this on a lognormal graph and....
Refer to above: "That's the difference between theory and lots of practical application and testing." There are too many variables even for someone that does know what they are talking about with or without pie charts. I just ride.

Here ya go, https://batteryuniversity.com/ , do your own research. Full charge and deplete approximately 400 recharge cycles. Charge to 80%, deplete to 20% can extend that 400 to over 1200 cycles. When you ride... A LOT, it matters. If you spin up 15 to 20 miles a few times a week what does it matter? The battery would last a couple of years maybe. FYI the Grin Satiator will charge to and specific voltage and then hold it, at that voltage, indefinitely even though only you were talking about battery storage. I have never needed to store a battery. I use the batteries I "paid for"... all 3 30Ah packs, and I fully expect to get over 1000 recharges out of each.

Okay, I am not sure what is going on here. But, this "information" is basic battery management. It isn't "RESEARCH" it is BASIC INFORMATION that almost ever ebiker retail, DIY, SUPER DIY from raw cells and BMS knows. You don't need a $300 dollar charger to keep your bike at 80%. Just charge to 80% and leave it and check on it now and then. The Satiator is great if you have the budget no absolutely necessary.

You can also use a cheap timer and the supplied charger to charge the batts if you experiment with the complete charging time using some math. It'll save a lot of money over a Grin satiator, $300.

Okay, I am not sure what is going on here. But, this "information" is basic battery management. It isn't "RESEARCH" it is BASIC INFORMATION that almost ever ebiker retail, DIY, SUPER DIY from raw cells and BMS knows. You don't need a $300 dollar charger to keep your bike at 80%. Just charge to 80% and leave it and check on it now and then. The Satiator is great if you have the budget no absolutely necessary.
The Satiator can charge multiple battery types but more importantly different battery voltages at user-determined amperages. Necessary? No the POS charger that they send with cheap batteries will charge them just fine. Or you can jump up and down checking to see when you want to yank the cord, by all means, be froggy. The Satiator lets people who care... manage their batteries getting the utmost out of them. If you ride an ebike that costs less than $1500.00 don't sweat it. The "basic info" you mentioned has to be implemented and the Satiator lets you do that in ways that standard chargers don't. If you want to go cheap buy a voltage checker and charge to 80% of the packs capacity.

You can also use a cheap timer and the supplied charger to charge the batts if you experiment with the complete charging time using some math. It'll save a lot of money over a Grin satiator, $300.
True... or just check the voltage occasionally and get close to whatever voltage you're aiming for. But you can't choose what amperage you want to charge at with low-end chargers. Or have to carry more than one charger ti work with multiple batteries. "One Ring to Rule Them All!"

Ride safe

True... or just check the voltage occasionally and get close to whatever voltage you're aiming for. But you can't choose what amperage you want to charge at with low-end chargers. Or have to carry more than one charger ti work with multiple batteries. "One Ring to Rule Them All!"

Ride safe
With $300 you could probably buy a whole house in detroit. Or a village in South Africa. Seems like a bad investment, would rather just own a house or village instead. LOL Just trolling... But seriously, in order to break even on your investment, it would have to have saved you at least $300 in batteries, at a inverse exponential relationship where e^x is charges, will take like a decade to pay off..... BTW how many kva is your bike basset,top mph?

Last edited:
Bike4life, a lot of ebikes cost in the 4k to 7k range and $300 is a small cost to get the most out of your battery. Folks who buy those kinds of ebikes are serious commuters and bike enthusiasts. I don't know what a current batt costs on a 6k$ Stromer but it isn't cheap. Jeezus, 6k$ I'd buy a new Kawi z400 and enough left over to bank a grand in a CD.

Bike4life, a lot of ebikes cost in the 4k to 7k range and $300 is a small cost to get the most out of your battery. Folks who buy those kinds of ebikes are serious commuters and bike enthusiasts. I don't know what a current batt costs on a 6k$ Stromer but it isn't cheap. Jeezus, 6k$ I'd buy a new Kawi z400 and enough left over to bank a grand in a CD.

With 6k, you could buy/build one of these airplanes, and still have like 4000 left to yolo in options... The 2 stroke aviation engines r expensive. Wonder if there are cheaper ways to get them.... 4 stroke 22hp from HF might be too heavy, but i heard you can mod them to do 50hp...

The Satiator can charge multiple battery types but more importantly different battery voltages at user-determined amperages. Necessary? No the POS charger that they send with cheap batteries will charge them just fine. Or you can jump up and down checking to see when you want to yank the cord, by all means, be froggy. The Satiator lets people who care... manage their batteries getting the utmost out of them. If you ride an ebike that costs less than $1500.00 don't sweat it. The "basic info" you mentioned has to be implemented and the Satiator lets you do that in ways that standard chargers don't. If you want to go cheap buy a voltage checker and charge to 80% of the packs capacity.

i just parallel two identical cheap charges for 5A and only one for 2.5A. Its not hard. Here is the real need, there needs to be a charger than can charge to 80% and then charge to 100% right before you are about leave on your morning commute. And, a charger that doesnt do that on say weekends or your days off. This is already done in EVs and if your bike cost $6K man you should demand this smart charger.

Back