Engine lugging?

I didnt have the tip in problem at all yesterday. Starting to wonder if she is picky about fuel quality. I been getting my fuel at 2 different places.

Sounds like you are on your way to answering the problem. Keep us posted when you sort it out. If it didn't happen yesterday then it must be either fuel or spark problems. I doubt Staton would sell you a kit that runs as you describe because of being underpowered.

I wouldnt say underpowered perse. My bodyweight definitely affects the performance but Im still pulling 18mph on 4-6% long hill pulls. Seeings how the top speed is only 24 mph anyways its only pulling it down about 4mph. When I say lugging Im going by the vehicle towing definition. If you are going up a hill and give it more throttle, like going 3/4 to wot, and your vehicle does not accelerate you are lugging the engine. This drives egts thru the roof on a diesel.

getting to know my Subaru 33cc
also get's stressed on climbs - noise that's hard to explain
peddal harder - mainly because - THAT SOUND CAN'T BE GOOD !!

like to figure it out - but - still running strong..

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

I didnt have the tip in problem at all yesterday. Starting to wonder if she is picky about fuel quality. I been getting my fuel at 2 different places.

Thought I had this problem solved on long climbs by keeping the spark plug clean. Ran into a head wind on a climb last week and not only did the engine lug down as you might expect, but began to -- PING!
As in detonation. Mountainman, I think that's the odd "noise" you may be getting. I dumped the fuel tank and have been using 93 octane :censored:(grrrrrrr) fuel and while the engine still gets bogged down and loses speed, again, as can be expected on a long steep climb, NO PING! The manual claims "regular gasoline" but does that mean regular as compared to premium or regular as in not diesel; or biofuel; or some other type??? The manual gives no octane rating or summer vs. winter fuel, etc. But if 93 oct. gets the job done, I guess I'll live with it. I don't want to screw up my motor from even a temporary pinging condition.
Try it and see what it does for you.
Also, I removed the woven paper(?) element from my air filter and soaked the foam one in K&N filter oil and squished it out. Seems to have helped the engine breathe better. Too early to tell yet. I wouldn't recommend this in a dusty, dirty environment. I ride only on clean(HA!) paved roads.
WC

I'm starting to regret my Subaru purchase. Two threads are talking about gas in oil, carbon fouled plugs, lack of uphill power... and even with 93 octane gas!

I'd suspect a new spark plug would help a lot if you haven't changed it in a while.

Looks like my 2-stroke is staying on here for a bit longer. I've really got no complaints other than not being able to fill up directly at the pump... but it's not that serious enough for me to change engines right now.

I bought the subaru with the full intention of also getting a tanaka 40 gebe. You will have parasitic losses with the gear box but I wouldnt go so far as to say it is underpowered even with my weight. When I approach a hill it pulls it off peak hp down to peak torque. This is exactly what I expected. Truckers like to call that torque backup and as long as you dont fall below peak torque no harm no foul. Lugging is a matter of gearing. In a vehicle you would downshift to a gear that you would be able to accelerate in. On a one speed this is a bit problematic because there is no other gear to shift to. I think even if I doubled my hp that I would likely lug on the same hills. Only way to know is when I get my gebe. The gebe should have more than double the hp where the rubber meets the road so it will be a great way to see if this subaru just doesnt have the ghusto. My computer is dieing so I might have to replace that first so I might have to push the gebe back til next spring. This is a gamer computer so its gonna be spensive to replace.

I havent had anymore problems with fuel in the oil. Plug is tan just like its supposed to be. The idle characteristics are great somedays and not so great some days. On real long downhills it has stalled. Im thinking the stumble might have to do with the oscillation in the gearbox. It loads and unloads the engine over and over. Its a very minor nuisance and I have seen detonatortuning bring it up in his thread. When I reach the crest of the hill it seems there is a moment where it loads the engine more as the momentum/load shifts. I let off the throttle for a sec and the loading smooths out and off I go.

Back