Engine Trouble Engine stud hole stripped

Status
Not open for further replies.
ugh I guess everyone has their own rituals for daily living. I myself also dont bother reading sizes on stuff. I color code things with different colored tape.
On another note, I tried to tap a front stud mount that broke on a bottom end with a balanced crank and was a very fast engine but ended up having to do it my own way with an angle iron. I didn't want to throw it away since the bottom end was professionally worked with a balanced crank. Here it is. Very strong now. A bit time consuming but not very difficult and now stronger than before. I have done the angle iron method once before with the help of someone on this board along time ago, making this time making it a breeze

Attachments

• angle iron.jpg
    angle iron.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
How exactly do you tap the new hole? I've been having the same problem, but I don't want to tap it wrong and mess up my engine.

How exactly do you tap the new hole? I've been having the same problem, but I don't want to tap it wrong and mess up my engine.
Clamp the engine in a woodworking bench or whatever and get the hole pointing horizontally if possible. Measure the hole depth using toothpick or whatever. Use the drill bit provided in the Helicoil kit and a thin cable tie to mark your depth. Use silicone lube aerosol spray as a cutting fluid.
Then use the special size tap provided in the Helicoil kit with the handle whatsit from any standard tap and die set and more silicone lube aerosol spray. The tap is tapered and somewhat self guiding but just takes a little care to get straight. Cut a little bit of thread at a time and clear the swarf from the tap, like half a turn in, quarter turn out, repeating until you feel it is time to take it out and blow away the swarf, or until you hit the bottom of the drilled hole.

If you need to repair the cylinder stud holes then you will have to cover the crank well with electrical tape to prevent swarf entering the crankcase.

Above all don't worry about spoiling it, enjoy working on it. It's not a precious perfect object, it's a learning tool! :)

I’d like to see pics of the outcome when you get it finished!

if you have a tap&die set, you can tap it to put in a brass bolt, saw & file bolt flush with case, and drill and tap that bolt to take the stud - works as well as helicoil & brass has about same heat expansion as aluminum
I love how old threads come to life im thinking about giving this idea a go lol

that's how we did it back before helicoils were invented

no idea what those are or how to use them

Those look like the things that come in the Ikea furniture kits lol.

yeah those are most often used for table legs. there's steel EZ-Lok inserts and with epoxy might work. no permanent fix tho. how long does it have to last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back