Fat Tire Chopper Bicycle

It's time.:devilish: Building mini choppers and 2 1/2 years of dabbling with MB's It's time for me to
combine one sport bike with another.

I've spent 3 weeks working on a frame to fit a 6 ft. adult rider. I saw this frame design a
year ago and couldn't stop thinking about it so I gave it a whirl. Not as easy as I thought.

In tradition of keeping a radical bicycle look, the frame is designed with a single down tube.
Of course keeping a peddal drive train. (different than my mini choppers)

Im going with a 45 to 47 deg. rake, with a 24" 72 spoke front wheel. Chrome billet forks.
I'm not building the rear frame until I find the ultimate 11"wide x 23"tall rear tire/rim combo.
The head frame is bowed, to accept any engine style. I may start with a HT to save costs.
If I love the bike I may upgrade.

This will be a slow going project due to a busy life. This is where i'm at so far. I'll keep this
thread updated as things progress. graucho

Attachments

• begining_frame_parts1.jpg
    begining_frame_parts1.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 9,842
  • frame_welded1.jpg
    frame_welded1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 5,199
  • frame_welded_front1.jpg
    frame_welded_front1.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 4,886
  • frame_welded_rear1.jpg
    frame_welded_rear1.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 18,732
Last edited:
Excellent job Graucho.Thanks for the many updates and the time and effort it took.Thanks also for sharing all the information on parts etc... I'm sure this build will inspire all who see it.I hope it all works out for you with your youth group project,kids need to be inspired these days with something like this.It keeps them out of trouble.:D

You are a true Gentleman.

My youngest daughter came back home from college to find the latest bike. She was always a big mini chopper fan of mine so needless to say she was pulling the bike out of the garage within the first 10 minutes home. After a long bike ride she was smiling and laughing for an hour after. This goofy bike seems to have that effect on everyone who has hopped on it for a ride. We have been riding it on the sidewalk for 3 weeks with the police just waving at us. Also a few thumbs up. Maybe they don't know its electric?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPGkndMuvuo

I'll give more details how to use the pen and paint/acetone when I get a little time. After I give it a week to cure I will finally be able to start re-assembly.
Would love to hear details about your paint....it looks great
Don't have a clue on how you used the acetone.
Seeing your paint makes me want to go buy an airbrush :D

My youngest daughter came back home from college to find the latest bike. She was always a big mini chopper fan of mine so needless to say she was pulling the bike out of the garage within the first 10 minutes home. After a long bike ride she was smiling and laughing for an hour after. This goofy bike seems to have that effect on everyone who has hopped on it for a ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPGkndMuvuo

Would love to hear details about your paint....it looks great
Don't have a clue on how you used the acetone.
Seeing your paint makes me want to go buy an airbrush :D

Thanks Gen3Benz. I need to get through some of my my honey-do list. Spring lawn and veg. garden. And lets not forget the hops for the homebrew.
I "WILL" explain my airbrushing techniques. Its been on my mind. graucho

OK, you said "I'm not building the rear frame" until you get the tire you want. So do you custom make these frames? I have a bike in mind, but I want a wider tire on the back and obviously will need a custom build "triangle". Can you provide me with more information as to how I might accomplish this. What are your prices etc. 4" wide tire.
BTW Fantastic work! She is beautiful.
thanks Sammie

Back