First build - It goes!

Hey All, took me a few hours longer than expected but here it is. Went fairly smoothly. I'm not 100% happy with the front mounts so will keep an eye on it very closely over the coming weeks. Started first go - well second go with a bit of choke adjustment - didn't need it apparently. Choke off is "down" right?. Pics from all angles with chain guard on and off.

Problem it's bloody raining all week here in Sydney so I gotta pick my times for test rides.

Cheers, Nick

Attachments

• IMG_2526.JPG
    IMG_2526.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_2527.JPG
    IMG_2527.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_2528.JPG
    IMG_2528.JPG
    276.4 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_2529.JPG
    IMG_2529.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_2530.JPG
    IMG_2530.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_2531.JPG
    IMG_2531.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 221
F

fetor56

Yep,choke down is off.......your bike looks good.
I like that engine right down in the frame...makes for a much lower centre of gravity and hence better handling.
ONLY read further if u want constructive criticism:
1. Secure that muffler.
2. Get a GOOD chain tensioner.
3. Clean up your wiring.
4. That spring assembly for the clutch cable is wrong(http://www.zbox.com.au/instructions.htm)
5. IF your using your white wire as a kill switch DON'T(http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=8579)
6. IF your using the standard Chinese chain don't.(http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=7971)

Other than these observations u did well....congratulations. :cool:

M

mickey

Looking good. It looks like you picked a frame with plenty of room for the engine.

BoltsMissing

This is a general observation, but how does it figure if the carby is not level in regards to the float in the fuel bowl ?

The black painted engine suits the bike, what paint did you use for the engine ?

stickler

Thanks for the constuctive feedback fetor.

Re: the muffler - I bolted it on with what was in the kit and put thread fastener on it. What else can I do to secure it more?.
I have a chain tensioner but left it off deliberately. To be honest I'm not sure why exactly, I guess I thought the chain was going to fit snugly and one less thing to go wrong. I'll also look into getting a KMC k910.
I also deliberately left off the little spring on the clutch cable because I couldn't really see any reason for it except to make it more difficult to install the clutch. Does it really serve any purpose?.
Killswitch - I will have to read that thread a few more times because I am somewhat dyslexic when it comes to all things electrical. Still spins me out I can plug stuff into the wall and it works. Thanks again - constructive feedback (I didn't take it as criticism) is why I'm here.

For the other questions it's a Skyhawk Grubee 80cc (66cc) and they sell for $370 off a bloke on ebay. I didn't paint anything - that's how it came out of the box.

I was a little worried about the carby angle too, but read on here somewhere that it doesn't matter too much - was good enough for me and it still works.

Cheers, Nick

F

fetor56

sticklet,i havn't used the Skyhawk kit but this is how normal HT kits function :
The chain tensioner is important but if it's only the one without ball bearing construction bin it and get a trials bike chain tensioner(see pic)
The Chinese chain we call Stretch-o-matic for obvious reasons.
Your carby angle doesn't matter...i've seen them at silly angles and they still work fine.
With the muffler u should have got a metal strap with the kit to secure the muffler to the frame but that's not important...it's a rubbish idea anyway.Use 2 hose clamps with a bracket inbetween(see pic)
That larger springs ONLY purpose is to be used as a heat shield for the clutch cable...it should NOT be serving any other purpose.
The smaller spring is used to help return the clutch arm....i personally don't use it and i havn't had any ill effects after 3000Km but that's up to u. :)
left2.JPG

right2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

stickler

Ahhh, so that's what that little metal band is for. Will do that before next ride.
I just took it for it's first 10Km ride and all was sweet but not before logic had prevailed and I fitted the chain tensioner (ball bearing model). Weird feeling at first and got a few funny looks. Had to pedal the last bit of a few steep hills cos I don't want to push the engine too much just yet. I think I'll be killing the engine when I'm anywhere near more than a few pedestrians so as not to draw too much attention.
I'll study that wiring link a bit more and see if I can make sense of it.

This is fun!

F

FullySicAussieAussyAussy!

it's fully sic fun bro!

nice job, be gentle with her at first

and put some oil on that chain. god dam it! :eek:

watch out for cops! some good some bad

got a Tshirt yet?

S

Scottm

Hey Stickler, Very cool build. There is a thread somweher about running w/o the tensioner, but I would wait till the chain streches.

"I also deliberately left off the little spring on the clutch cable because I couldn't really see any reason for it except to make it more difficult to install the clutch. " :LOL:
I remeber sitting on the floor of the garage having installed a motor on a bike, and for the love of Pete I could not get that clutch adjusted because of that dang spring.

Good work and enjoy the Happy Times.

Hey there FullySic! Long time no see. Doing well?