Florida MB Laws ?

I called the Fla hwy patrol to find out if im going to get a ticket for riding it on the street.and the officer said i didnt need a license to ride it on the street. But dont drink and ride..I thought what a tard....just because i dont have a license doesnt mean i'm a drunk. Wish Fla would get it 2gether. 1 cop gives me a verbal warning...says he can give me a 250. ticket for driving it with no license, and state police say different....

my bike is not registered....I have passed a few cops and shut the engine off, but again, i have passed one or two at full speed and just gotten a wave

It depends on the cop.

this is what i have found on DMV.org, i live/ride by this info,

1) Mopeds

State legislators define a moped as a vehicle fitting all of the following criteria:

* Pedals that allow you to propel the vehicle

* A seat for the rider

* Three or fewer wheels

* Motor of two-brake horsepower or less

* Maximum speed of 30 mph on level ground

* Automatic power-drive system

* Displacement of 50 cc or less (for those with an internal combustion engine)

Mopeds need to be registered at a county tax collector office. The registration fee is $19.10, and you must renew your registration every year. Thankfully, you don't have to pay the $100 initial registration fee.

You'll receive a motorcycle plate for your moped. If you're under 21 and the registration is in your name, your plate will have a distinctive design and color.

Moped drivers need to have at least a Class E driver's license, and be 16 or older to drive a moped on a public road. A motorcycle endorsement isn't required.

You will not be allowed to ride your moped on bike or foot paths. All passengers under 16 must wear a helmet.

Moped drivers aren't required to carry Personal Injury Protection insurance.

Be aware that moped drivers have the same rights and responsibilities as other motorists. And, yes, moped drivers can receive traffic tickets, too.

Florida is a farce when it comes to MB's legislation enforcement.The cops don't know the law,the DMV wants nothing to do with MB's&refuses to licence them,because they don't "look" like mopeds and MBers consequently get hauled into court&get royally screwed.

Last edited by a moderator:
City ordinance

This is a good place to check the local laws on the motorized bicycles. Is it just me or does this say that our bikes are legal in Daytona Beach?????
http://www.municode.com/Resources/gateway.asp?pid=10234&sid=9
If that link does not work here is what it says.

The definitions in this section will be used in addition to those enumerated in section 1-2. The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this chapter, shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this section, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
Bicycle means any device propelled by human power or any moped propelled by pedal-activated helper motor not to exceed 1 1/2 bhp (break horse-power) upon which any person may ride, having two tandem wheels, either of which is 20 inches or more in diameter, and including any device generally recognized as a bicycle though equipped with two front or two rear wheels.

had your chance -- for a Pooolice e-mail

I called the Fla hwy patrol to find out if im going to get a ticket for riding it on the street.and the officer said i didnt need a license to ride it on the street.

that would have been a great time to ask of the officer
if they could send you a simple e-mail stating that

then you could have carried that e-mail with you while riding

showing that to another pooolice person -- should calm all waters !!

MM

Some,but not all would be legal,strictly speaking.But would not be easy to prove illegality.So just behave yourself,keep a low profile&stay in the good graces of the local cops.A quiet exhaust system should be an asset too.

Back