French research on motorized bike 400Miles/gal, 57dB, climb >35%

The engine alone can make my bike upshift automatically. When slowing down I let off the throttle and lightly peddle while applying brakes this then downshifts me into the lowest gear. That way on take offs I'm always starting in the lowest gear. The gears change as the speed increases or decreases. I didn't invent the derailleur; what I did was discover a way to use a gas engine to directly drive it.

To avoid legal issues here in the USA I suggest using an electric motor. We've much stricter regulations on combustible engines. Otherwise you'd need to come up with a way to make the bike shift gears automatically without the operator having to do it manually. There is one other solution don't sell an assembled bike but rather sell a kit as it currently is. Here we have very few laws for off road vehicles. If a state sees your kit as intended for off road and a rider chooses to ride on the public roadways then they do so at their own risk.

Last edited:
Tank you very much Jerry,

I didn't know all this USA legal aspect, if I understand well, we must check in inch state.
On our bike there is no specific change gears for the engine.
When we change gears for us (the user like on any bicycle) we change the the speed for the engine in the same time, because its power go to the pedalier.
Do you think that we could be OK like that ?

Sorry for the delay but I work alone and you can't imagine what is my life.

One thing is sure Jerry your bike accelerate a lot more than mine !

Tank "et à bien tôt"

Yvan

Here is something to consider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPmcULLV4Uc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

He also used to have one that was pulley and belt driven instead of rim driven. I use a LandRider autoshift derailleur; it is belt and pulley driven. Your drive may really work great with an internal geared hub using an autoshift system.

You're right our laws vary greatly from state to state so in a few states your bike would be ok but not in most of them. If your gearbox only drove a single sprocket on the left side of the rear wheel you'd be ok. What you have going to the crank works similar to our shiftkits. People still use them anyways even though their state says the engine can't drive a system where the operator can manually shift gears. What I've done with the automatic thing is to find a legal loophole to legally be able to use multiple gears.

I custom built my 5 speed freewheel these are the sprockets: 34, 28, 24, 20, 16. With the cushion system you have in your gearbox and an autoshifter of some sort I think with an internal multiple speed hub would work great for you. The Robin Subaru 35 would also give you a lot more power. You could even go as high as a 49 cc engine.

Last edited:
I looked at the site. Don't be fooled by it. We already have similar things. All this setup is a 25 cc Robin Subaru engine with riding starting system. A reduction gearbox and another version of a shiftkit. Engine seems way to small to carry a 250 lbs person up a 35 % grade hill. It could only be an assist at best. The bike will probably be sold at a ridiculous price. They'll impress me when they invent a motorized bicycle which shifts gears automatically like I did.
bolting on parts to a premade bicycle is not inventing ... http://evolvethebike.com/ http://www.landriderbikes.com/

bolting on parts to a premade bicycle is not inventing ... http://evolvethebike.com/ http://www.landriderbikes.com/

If you'd read this whole thread I plainly state I didn't invent the LandRider derailleur. Unless you can provide proof of someone building a motorized autoshift bicycle before December of 2010. Then I stand by my claim to be the first to develop a motorized bicycle in which the engine's drive system shifts 5 gears automatically. So therefore I did invent the first motorized bicycle in which the engine's drive system shifts 5 gears automatically. If you can provide proof of such a bike existing before I built mine then I'll give credit where credit is due.

If you'd read this whole thread I plainly state I didn't invent the LandRider derailleur. Unless you can provide proof of someone building a motorized autoshift bicycle before December of 2010. Then I stand by my claim to be the first to develop a motorized bicycle in which the engine's drive system shifts 5 gears automatically. So therefore I did invent the first motorized bicycle in which the engine's drive system shifts 5 gears automatically. If you can provide proof of such a bike existing before I built mine then I'll give credit where credit is due.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP0ZtAtjiE4

http://www.google.com/patents/US3581853

you did NOT invent the jackshaft kit you use... without that you would NOT have a complete motorized bicycle.
What you have done is use common parts made by others on a factory built bicycle of which most bicycle shops will not carry replacement parts for the derailer. Now what happens if it breaks then what??
So you are NOT the first to make a autoshifting bicycle anyone that uses a CVT has a TRUE autoshift and technicly your is NOT a true autoshift as you yourself have stated you manualy shift the front rings. Therefor you do not have the full range of gear ratio to shift automaticly as a CVT does

It is apparent you've not kept up with my changes. I no longer use a 21 speed setup. I now use a 5 speed a setup. My setup 18.75:1 gearbox, GB-SK 18-44; SK-FW 34-(34, 28, 24, 20, 16). I custom built the 5 speed 34-16 freewheel. You can look up motorized LandRider for my videos. I also have one in this thread. The Staton Inc shiftkit uses a double freewheel setup since David's kits use centrifugal clutches and don't need to be bump started.

You still haven't produced any videos or some other proof of a motorized bicycle shifting gears automatically. I've done modifications to the derailleur and shiftkit that I've not published. You can buy replacement a derailleur from Landrider. I found a weak point with their derailleur and fixed it. Now it should last for many many years. If the word invent doesn't seem correct to you then maybe the word created is more appropriate.

So far the closest thing I've found is the Two-matic video. I'm able to produce evidence of a 100% motorized fully automatic bicycle. That's means it has peddles, no manual clutch and engine's drive system shifts gears automatically. I've been looking for others who have such bikes. If a bike doesn't use peddles then I consider that to be a scooter. So I'm asking you to back up with pictures, websites and/or videos of the type of motorized bicycle I'm talking about.

i also consider the cvt as a gearbox with variable gears. if you set the cones/pulleys whatever to move in discrete steps, it would be any number of speeds as steps.

otherwise its an infinitely variable gearbox within its ranges, constantly shifting gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4TlV23ebXc 2008...

thats one reault of many with one simple search in english only. try alternative languages, like cyrillic...

i cant find schematics for my TIG welder ANYWHERE on the internet, after several months of searching in five languages.

by your theory, my TIG welder mustn't exist?

maybe you should have a go at inventing it ;) im told theres a MASSIVE market full of uninvented TIG welders...

if you make a neat compact gearbox, without using someone elses ideas or technology, i shall agree adamantly, that you HAVE invented it :)

so will the patent office ;)

until then...youre just grafting things together and playing dr frankenstein!

wheres your patent?

Last edited:
It is apparent you've not kept up with my changes. I no longer use a 21 speed setup. I now use a 5 speed a setup. My setup 18.75:1 gearbox, GB-SK 18-44; SK-FW 34-(34, 28, 24, 20, 16). I custom built the 5 speed 34-16 freewheel. You can look up motorized LandRider for my videos. I also have one in this thread. The Staton Inc shiftkit uses a double freewheel setup since David's kits use centrifugal clutches and don't need to be bump started.

You still haven't produced any videos or some other proof of a motorized bicycle shifting gears automatically. I've done modifications to the derailleur and shiftkit that I've not published. You can buy replacement a derailleur from Landrider. I found a weak point with their derailleur and fixed it. Now it should last for many many years. If the word invent doesn't seem correct to you then maybe the word created is more appropriate.

So far the closest thing I've found is the Two-matic video. I'm able to produce evidence of a 100% motorized fully automatic bicycle. That's means it has peddles, no manual clutch and engine's drive system shifts gears automatically. I've been looking for others who have such bikes. If a bike doesn't use peddles then I consider that to be a scooter. So I'm asking you to back up with pictures, websites and/or videos of the type of motorized bicycle I'm talking about.

Though it's clear you're proud of your work, I'd say the correct terms would be "I adapted this to fit" or "I rigged this up to work" create or invent aren't accurate.

Last edited:
Back