friction drive or not

thedubdoctor

Local time
9:55 PM
hi well im new here,ive got a hedgestrimmer waiting to be converted,sat ready with clutch and housing,do i go for afriction drive rear rack mounted version (only problem with this option kits available for bigger clutches,mines a small clutch)
or a belt drive driven off the clutch to a small pulley welded to the back wheel,
or a bmx stunt peg bolted to the clutch housing,friction drive like an old rocon motor,
the bikes a 24 inch wheeled cruiser,help any ideas put it to the vote

And, it would have to be a BIG pulley fastened to the rear wheel. 18 inches in diameter, roughly. The engine RPM is way to high to use a small pulley - the total reduction in RPM would need to be in the 15:1 range for a 24 inch wheel.

I just put a friction drive on a mongoose bmx bike and I must say I am pleasantly surprised. The staton kit is rock solid!!!

thanks for the info

has any 1 got any photos of the staton kit,phone no of supplier,much appreciated,just having a head ache trying to fit the stunt peg to the drive:unsure:

many thanks

thanks to loquin,for the info,you guys are a mind of info,progressed more in a week since i joined this forum,:D
i have the bike,layed on the floor in the garage deciding wether to friction drive it or not ,my brain say put the engine in the middle, lazyness says get a friction drive kit,(how do i get that past my partner)
only prob then i have is gear ratios,im thinking to drive option on the belt drive theme
1, 58 mm clutch drum outer to rear spindle mounted pulley,35mm rear od spindle nice flat drive area just weld washers to inner and outer side of the spidle body to act as belt guide,
2,58mm clutch drum has 15mm straight cut gear attached to it then to the rear spindle mounted pulley ,,question what size rear pulley would i need (24 inch rear wheel),as i guess 35 mm wont give it any where near a descent ratio,im trying to use what i got in that this way mounting the engine is a 2 hole drill operation 2 brackets job done,just the drive to sort out,.,bear in mind over here in england the health and safety dictators say we are only allowed 15 mph on assisted power,i want it to do at least 25 mph easy,:devilish:
help with ratios greatly appreiciated,i have a drive belt supplier on our doorstep ,and welding a pulley to the spindle aint a problem,
thanks,

If you just want to run a simple single belt drive, you will be geared too high. I am assuming you are thinking v belt.

a 24 inch wheel would need a total reduction ratio in the area of 16:1.

For a 2 inch drive pulley/sprocket, this means a 32 inch driven pulley, which is a bit prohibitive, being bigger than the wheel!

for drive spindles in a friction drive, the driven wheel size is immaterial. Only the spindle size matters, so a 1.25 inch spindle should be fine.

Back