Fuel coming out of the head

Emcee

Local time
10:28 PM
I noticed a pool of fuel at the top. It looked like it was coming out of the spark plug hole. I tightened it as much as I possibly could. Bolts are torqued to 140lbs

Attachments

• IMG_20220730_152605408.jpg
    IMG_20220730_152605408.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20220730_152420321.jpg
    IMG_20220730_152420321.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 60
I noticed a pool of fuel at the top. It looked like it was coming out of the spark plug hole. I tightened it as much as I possibly could. Bolts are torqued to 140lbs
Gee, I hope you didn't? That much torque will strip the stud holes in the case and deform the head. If you don't know how to say helicoil, you better correct that. 12ft/lb.

Get a new plug, it seems that one has been abused too much and the little crush washer is no longer sealing. It should thread in by hand all the way, then1/8th turn with the wrench to seal. If it doesn't seem like it wants to thread in easy, then there is an issue with the threads in the head.

Don't be a BEAR with these engines, they take a gentle hand. They are made from aluminum in a foreign land with virtually no QC.

I am assuming he means 140 inch-pounds which is 11.67 foot-pounds. He just said 140 pounds but the force is applied over a distance and we don't know said distance.

I am assuming he means 140 inch-pounds which is 11.67 foot-pounds. He just said 140 pounds but the force is applied over a distance and we don't know said distance.
Yes inch pounds, I couldn't remember if it's inch pounds or foot pounds so I said "pounds" I'm hope people would know what I meant

Gee, I hope you didn't? That much torque will strip the stud holes in the case and deform the head. If you don't know how to say helicoil, you better correct that. 12ft/lb.

Get a new plug, it seems that one has been abused too much and the little crush washer is no longer sealing. It should thread in by hand all the way, then1/8th turn with the wrench to seal. If it doesn't seem like it wants to thread in easy, then there is an issue with the threads in the head.

Don't be a BEAR with these engines, they take a gentle hand. They are made from aluminum in a foreign land with virtually no QC.
It's a new BP6HS. I tightened it and the problem seems to be no more. I will say that if it comes down to it, I have my first head from my China girl I can use. My first China girl had the woodruff keys failed and I took an $80 out of $106 refund and honestly it's great because for $26 I have every back up part you can name.

It's a new BP6HS. I tightened it and the problem seems to be no more. I will say that if it comes down to it, I have my first head from my China girl I can use. My first China girl had the woodruff keys failed and I took an $80 out of $106 refund and honestly it's great because for $26 I have every back up part you can name.
So what you're saying is the plug just vibrated loose. It's a good idea to check for loose nuts and screws if things seem amiss.

So what you're saying is the plug just vibrated loose. It's a good idea to check for loose nuts and screws if things seem amiss.
Yes. I also retorqued the head nuts. They definitely came loose after the first 20 miles. Can't believe how I underestimated the power of vibration. Is red loctite a good idea? I have read that for the engine not to do it but for everything else do it.

I wouldn't bother with loctite on the head nuts. I put loctite on the studs before I reinstalled them (into the case) but not on the head nuts themselves. For the first 250 miles I checked the head nuts every single time before I rode but after about 30 times checking them and not being loose I stopped checking. I still will every once in awhile but not often.

My spark plug has also leaked oil/gas. I replaced the plug and it stopped. The crush washers are easily crushed too far and then leak. It's not a big deal to be honest.

Yes. I also retorqued the head nuts. They definitely came loose after the first 20 miles. Can't believe how I underestimated the power of vibration. Is red loctite a good idea? I have read that for the engine not to do it but for everything else do it.
Use the blue loctite on all the nuts and bolts, except for the head. The red makes a real tight bond and if you ever have to take it apart it's a real bear, and you might break a bolt or two.

Use the blue loctite on all the nuts and bolts, except for the head. The red makes a real tight bond and if you ever have to take it apart it's a real bear, and you might break a bolt or two.
Thanks for the heads-up. I don't know if you use the BP6HS but what size wrench pulls it off? I have up to 3/4 and nothing is big enough

Back