Gearing

It's kinda hard when someone has crap to work with
That's when you have to start thinking outside of the box and become creative.

We're all born ignorant.

A fool never learns from their mistakes.

A Clever person learns from their mistakes

A wise person learns from the mistakes of others

I have a ms440 stihl piston in the cylinder is that a good or bad choice
Unless you measured the crown height and verified the port timing and squish gap, bad. Very bad. That could very well be why you have such terrible performance. Even if the squish gap works out ok, the shape of the piston top for most Stihl saws is flat, and the chamber of the YD is meant to work with a domed piston. Either way you are probably having low compression and the port timing is even worse than it should normally be. Generally speaking a bog stock YD100 with a decent quality cylinder should be able to hit 30mph with a 44t rear sprocket without trying. Heck, a healthy, well built, and decently tuned 49cc engine for these bikes can usually achieve a top speed of 30

The YD100 has never been known as an engine with good top end speed. In reality, despite the extra CC's they have close to the same top speed as most "80" engines. What the YD100 has in it's corner is extra "tractor factor" which makes them a better hill climber. Essentially, same speed, more grunt.

With your parts combination, assuming you have a phantom bottom end with a 12mm wrist pin and a YD100 top end your best match for a piston with be a 12mm pin YD/LD100 piston.

CDH actually sells a complete windowed piston kit for that purpose. YD/LD 50mm Piston with 12mm pin here.
(if you have an older phantom bottom end with 10mm wrist pin, then you just need any ol' YD100 10mm piston, and those are everywhere)

If you still have your phantom 85 parts, you will need to use the reed block that came with the phantom to use that piston I linked above. If you dig around there are non-windowed pistons out there that would not need the reed block.

If you are already using that reed block on the yd100 top end without a windowed piston, that could also contribute to the low power you are making.

Nobody here is under any illusions that these engines are in any way high quality. They never have been, and even the "best" ones still come with their share of quality, manufacturing, and design issues. The Zeda 80 is probably the "best" of them all in those regards, and even they can be prone to some of those issues. You have to keep in mind that you are buying a whole internal combustion engine for basically pennies.

If you take the time to learn and apply what you learn you can easily turn these engines into something decently reliable, but they will never be as reliable as a modern 2 or 4 stroke engine. At the end of the day, these engines are kind of intended to be a bit of a throw away item.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I'm about to give up on these China maid motors they seems like they are all junk
Lots of people do. The appeal is in how cheap they are, not how good they are. If these engines were actually built and designed well they would cost several hundred dollars and also make a bit more power out of the box. We would have 50cc engines making 4-5hp spinning over 10,000rpm that would blow the doors off any of the larger cheap engines we use. The exception being the Phantom 85 or other hybrid Saw or Minarelli builds.

I'm not using a windowed piston or a reed valve but I'm using 2 gaskets for the cylinder, of the yd100 cylinder top also for the yd100 cylinder jug do I run a window piston or non window piston for that cylinder

Ok so I have the wrong piston in it but I can't find a 50mm piston with a 12mm wrist pin those pistons I seen is all 10mm wrist pin

Ok so I have the wrong piston in it but I can't find a 50mm piston with a 12mm wrist pin those pistons I seen is all 10mm wrist pin
I literally linked one. It's windowed, but it is 50mm with a 12mm pin. An OZ Reed block is all you would need to make it work. Same reed he Phantom uses, and it works well.

Thanks everyone with your suggestions I returned the carb again and I had 2 cylinder gaskets on I took one off and I think it's running pretty good since in the breakin period yet but it going about 27mph so I'm sure it reach 30mph when it's fully broken in thanks everyone for your help

Back