GEBE I'm Ready to do this.....help?

BTB
I examined my belt today and after 260 miles it looks good overall but there is a tiny bit of fraying on the inside of the belt...barely noticeable. So I loosened the legs and moved them around a bit and It looks like the alignment is near perfect but the belt rides the inside of my gear. Not a real abrasively like you said but it is against the gear on the inside. After trying to move the engine over by loosening the mounts and every other thing I could think of I gave up. What now?
Lars

Cold

It's supposed to be cold up there. Shoot birds; make pot pies.

I think the belts will wear a little on the edges from being imperfect and the odd pressures that move it around.

Someone said it best ( larymor?) just ride the **** thing! He's right. I have merely days to ride before the weather gets too cold. I'll have all winter to tinker. The bike is not perfect, I have small issues, it may cost me more time and a new belt..........at this point I'd say put a few hundred miles on it and re-evaluate.
I'm using a strong rubber bungee around the seat post as a safety strap for now. I zip tied the spokes today. I'm still playing around with throttle cable routing. Very sensitive! The issue is this......if I expose a loose loop near the engine, the RPMs drop but I'm concerned about snagging the cable on a limb etc. If I tie the throttle cable in alittle tighter ( still plenty of slack IMO) the idle races. I believe my throttle screw is backed out beyond any control......and thus useless right now. Jeez.....:-/ No...there are no sharp bends in the cable.

My rs35 did that at first too...(throttle racing fast) I just kept riding, moving it around etc. Seems you can't keep the cable too close to the motor...it needs to do a little loop back there to idle correctly. Your arms amd legs stick out farther than the cable would.
Lars

exactly right LARYMOR, I left a significant loop at the engine. However the trees and schrubs around here can be relentless. In fact, I can ride past poison ivy and still get it. :oops:
If a branch or something snags the throttle....zoom zoom.:D Another advantage of the clip-on throttle IMO. Pop it off the handlebars to relax the throttle. And honestly, these engines don't have enough torque to throw a rider or pop a wheelie so perhaps it's a non-issue when you really think about it.

Engine Strap and Throttle

Remove the gear and add a SS washer or two that will move gear outward and should center the belt.

Instead of plastic straps etc as motor safety straps, why not just add a metal assist that will also support a bag as in below?

In fact, if you use one on each side, I believe the center strap is superfluous. Am considering using that method on a new bike (Raleigh Gruv 2) because the bike has no fender fastener positions. A little fabrication is required but not above anyone with drills, a bench vise and adjustable wrench.

And, am curious about the large "loop" you are referring too. Can you offer pic?

Attachments

• Strap2sm.jpg
    Strap2sm.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 259
Last edited by a moderator:
Throttle sticks out

This is all the farther mine sticks out. I routed it along the frame to the handlebars. You would almost have to be going through a dense forrest/jungle for it to get hung up. Lots of other stuff would first. Pedals,mirrors, handlebars, arms, legs...I think you are OCD'ing on this. Just ride and have fun. I went for the paper at 6am on my bike...45 degrees and a bit nippy. I'm gonna try ride most of the winter...at least when the streets aren't glare ice or full of snow. Maybe I'll get some studded tires for it...maybe a sno-board for the front.
Zowieeeee.............
Lars

Attachments

• rsinstall 010 [640x480].jpg
    rsinstall 010 [640x480].jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 253
Optional additions

I began the idea of adding a milk crate to house the engine. So I cut the bottom out of a crate and slipped it over.........I thought it looked kinda cumbersome and would draw too much attention.......so I'm shelving the idea.
Plan 2 was to purchase a "slow moving vehicle" triangle reflector sign and mount it to cover the entire rear of the engine. I changed my mind in the check-out line. Sure it would disguise the engine from a rear view while looking ridiculous at the same time. These signs are quite large and bright. It would draw too much attention.
IMO, the dead givaways ( from a motorists point of view) are engine noise and perhaps the white gas tank. If I can coak the bright gas tank ( sock or something?) and deflect the exhaust I believe I'm complete!:)

Maybe paint the whole thing black and get a muffler..if I can ever figure out the muffler deal.

Gas Tank

Maybe just paint the back side. I'll want a visual gas level check at a glance. As far as muffler....I'll probably find that silicone tubing and simply angle it downward as a reflector. The engine is not too loud.

Back