Good-bye to China/Grubee Junk, Hello To Reliable Motorized Bicycling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
6 years experience with a Staton 4 stroke Honda GX-31

At first, there was too much tire wear with the Staton knurled roller.

I cut spline grooves into Staton roller to make it act like a spline.

Using regular cheap tires, no more wear.

My $0.02 cut grooves into roller and use cheap replaceable tires.

Also, to make proper contact: partially deflate tire, position roller, inflate tire.

Last edited by a moderator:
When BMP came out with his double shaft mods to his friction drive, I thought it would be about the best of all worlds with a Whizzer spoke sheave using primary and secondary belts, clean, quiet and dependable/ Then He shut down, maybe the bad economy about that time was the reason. I bought from John and was very satisfied. Not sure if the new owner is now shipping, if so, think he only offers friction drive single shaft and not the dual shaft option. The 50cc Hou Sang = Honda clone (incorrect spelling) is a great engine, have 3 with no problems.

Think my posts on other forum number approx. 2000 and never a problem, great group of people as is here. My user name there is NEAT TIMES, my off shore boat name (required here)

Have fun riding
Ron

Added thought; Spring tensioners on belt or chain are necessary in my world, they save a lot of stress like hydraulic lifters in Engines, stops all the pounding, like high points with sprockets and pulleys imho.

Last edited:
I have had excellent reliability with the newer Chinese 2-stroke bicycle engines, fitted with the crowded needle roller big end connecting rod bearing, but i would not touch the standard single speed chain drive system with a 100 foot barge pole.

Combine the Chinese bicycle engine with a Jaguar CDI, Rock Solid Engines reed valve intake system and a Walbro Carburettor + installation of a Sick Bike Parts shift kit and custom chain tensioners and you're on a winner; giving many miles of trouble free service!!!

thats pretty much my setup except i got the arrow reed instead of the rock solid.....question,....did you notice a smother idel when you installed the reed onto your motor?

From reading, I think the OP just had sour-grapes.Obviously, by evidence of Fabian and KC, a china girl can be made to be a reliable ride, but it takes a little extra work.

I don't like sour grapes, junk parts or scammers...

From reading, I think the OP just had sour-grapes.Obviously, by evidence of Fabian and KC, a china girl can be made to be a reliable ride, but it takes a little extra work.

Normally I wouldn't be so nice to a poster in my thread who obviously didn't "read" it. So I'll just ask you this: Would you depend on it to get you to work and back over 20 miles a day rain or shine? Don't worry I know the answer, because I (and only I) did it. Or at least no one else could be found. I just hadn't bashed grubee junk or honda's warranty scam lately. Nor praised Tanaka for having such a superior engine. Thanks, Tanaka. Knowing what I know now, I would choose your engine if it had no warranty!

-John

No right or wrong on engine choices, just personal experiences and opinions. I'm not an HT fan or 2 cycle fan but admire the bikes folks build with them.

Normally I wouldn't be so nice to a poster in my thread who obviously didn't "read" it. So I'll just ask you this: Would you depend on it to get you to work and back over 20 miles a day rain or shine? Don't worry I know the answer, because I (and only I) did it. Or at least no one else could be found. I just hadn't bashed grubee junk or honda's warranty scam lately. Nor praised Tanaka for having such a superior engine. Thanks, Tanaka. Knowing what I know now, I would choose your engine if it had no warranty! -John
I apologize if I ruffled feathers.It just appeaerd you didn't do deep research, and then got mad after the fact.I'm with you, I started with a BMP and a RS eho, because I read and read and realized I didn't want to do all the tweeks to make a china girl run as reliabily, that it would be cheaper in the long run if I saved and bought quality, but it can be and has been done, KC's bikes are well thought out.I don't know how hard you've looked but I cast doubt on your "no one but me" stance on people who use their MAB's as daily drivers, regardless of system. I like the high dollar stuff (mitsu tanka rs) for the same reasons, but you can buy three china girl systems for the cost of one EHO, to some that's a better deal.I replied because of your comment on how a grubee or honda rep was trying to get into your account, because of what a forum member said, a HUGE jump in logic, it just showed that maybe you don't dig deep enough on things, bad assumption on my part.

Last edited:
I have a Chinese 2 stroke kit. It was reliable enough for what it was, made a lot of power, and was quick but it always "feels like it's about to blow up. I took it apart and rebuilt it the day I got it since it was assembled so poorly from the factory. It left me stranded, or at least forced me to pedal home a number of times, and always seemed to be leaking or needing adjustment.

Two years ago a bought a Staton friction drive, with a Honda GX35 and 1" roller, and I couldn't be happier. It is dead reliable, quiet, and smooth. I've actually been asked at traffic stops how I like me "Electric" bike. It only tops out at 30km/h, but I am able to get up some pretty steep hills with only minor peddle assist. I am very happy with it. I did build the bike with HD wheels, and a drum brake up front which after having a wheel come apart on me in the past I think is a good idea. I am using Bontrager Solana tires and wear does not seem to be an issue. Riding in the rain is not great. I need to put a lot of pressure on the roller and pedal a lot more.

My take is the 2 stroke china kits are great to tinker and play with, but a Staton friction drive is about as reliable as a bicycle itself. I have taken rides as long as 80km without hesitating with this bike, whereas anything further that 15km on the other bike worried me.

I have a Chinese 2 stroke kit. It was reliable enough for what it was, made a lot of power, and was quick but it always "feels like it's about to blow up. I took it apart and rebuilt it the day I got it since it was assembled so poorly from the factory. It left me stranded, or at least forced me to pedal home a number of times, and always seemed to be leaking or needing adjustment.

Two years ago a bought a Staton friction drive, with a Honda GX35 and 1" roller, and I couldn't be happier. It is dead reliable, quiet, and smooth. I've actually been asked at traffic stops how I like me "Electric" bike. It only tops out at 30km/h, but I am able to get up some pretty steep hills with only minor peddle assist. I am very happy with it. I did build the bike with HD wheels, and a drum brake up front which after having a wheel come apart on me in the past I think is a good idea. I am using Bontrager Solana tires and wear does not seem to be an issue. Riding in the rain is not great. I need to put a lot of pressure on the roller and pedal a lot more.

My take is the 2 stroke china kits are great to tinker and play with, but a Staton friction drive is about as reliable as a bicycle itself. I have taken rides as long as 80km without hesitating with this bike, whereas anything further that 15km on the other bike worried me.

I love my Staton 31cc Honda on a 20" wheel double spring mountain bike. Small, lightweight, and highly maneuverable.

It goes just under 35 KPH and like you say it purrs along pretty well.

My only complaint is the carby. I got a replacement for my dried out old one. The new one has a fuel adjustment screw and finally I got it to perform OK.

My other complaint is the gas tank size. How far do you go on a tank?

(I cannot pedal my bike because I made both pedals into comfortable foot rests.)

The tank on the gx35 is small. I can only get 25-30km on the tank. I carry a fuel bottle in the water bottle holder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back